Thread: question about rehab in general

question about rehab in general

hi everyone. if you are training as outpatient in a rehab center do they allow you to train (standing frame, weights, handbike) by yourself in the days were you dont hvef training...for examble project walk.

I canĀ“t speak for other facilities, but we usually charge a small monthly fee (like a fitness center) to privately use our Uppertone, free weights and other equipment. No time limit, although patients which are in therapy with their PT always have priority.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

I'm sure it varies from one facility to another, but at our facility, clients have access to the FES bike and other equipment when they are not working out.

Most inpatient rehab facilities in the USA now days have therapy 7 days a weeks for nearly all patients. It may be less intensive on the weekends, but without it, they cannot achieve the minimal outcomes required in the short time the insurance companies allow them to keep patients.

We do not allow either inpatients or outpatients to work out in the gym using the gym equipment without a therapist being present. The liability if someone were injuried while working out unsupervised would prohibit this for nearly all facilities that I know about.

(KLD)

I visit this website daily but usually read to remain current rather than post. Since it has been a while, I would also like to take this time to update some of the information related to attending SCI-Step in order to provide a better understanding of what we have to offer our patients.

We are located in Mason, Ohio just a little north of Cincinnati. My brother and I were both degreed exercise physiologists in the field and started SCI-Step, an out-patient physical therapy clinic in 2002 after a friend was SCI. There was such as need for rehab after discharge from inpatient and outpatient hospital based therapy and the local options were not providing the leading modalities such as FES and PWBTT for SCI.

We are an out-patient PT facility staffed with physical therapists, an occupational therapist (PRN) and exerise physiologists. A physiatrist works closely to monitor progress of our patients and we offer massage, acupuncture and reflexology as well as orthotist, nutritional, urological, psychologoical and DME consulations under our roof.

In addition, we have housing, home health care and transportation options to make SCI-Step a well-rounded option for anyone considering therapy after hospital-based rehabiliation.

We work with all major private insurance as well as Medicare and state worker's compensation and our hourly rate is significantly less than the average out-patient physical therapy rate.

Although we are not affilicated with a specific hospital, we work closely with several major SCI models including KKI, Craig and the Shepard Center and have referred patients back and forth on numerous occasions. We realize that some individuals initially require more direct medical care than we specialize in, but once medically stable for out-patient PT and activity based therapy, we follow the leading medical research to offer the same therapy components as those mentioned above.

In addition, we offer a free trial week, including hotel accomdations to any SCI seeking a better understanding of our program. This allows individuals to expericence our facility, obtain current goals, set new goals and learn as much as possible so that they can continue the recovery journey on their own, remaining in close contact with us for any needs that come up along the way...yes, completely free.

I know there are many posts on this forum from current and past patients we encourage you to find out more about their experiences or contact me directly at mbrock@sci-step.com for more infomration.

We are here to help you and your family in any way possible!

Michele

Become a friend of SCI-Step on Facebook too!!