Thread: GU for you cyclers

GU for you cyclers

i take alot of supps as you all know. i grabbed some gu gel for my camelpack.

i suck one down 1/2 through my ride w/ water. they really do keep you feeling good and no sugar lows. what i like is they dont feel funky or heavy on the belly.

2 thumbs up.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Have you tried the 5 Hour energy drinks? They taste awful, but work great.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i take alot of supps as you all know. i grabbed some gu gel for my camelpack.

i suck one down 1/2 through my ride w/ water. they really do keep you feeling good and no sugar lows. what i like is they dont feel funky or heavy on the belly.

2 thumbs up.
    I agree. I was sponsored by GU for ultra-endurance Mtn. Biking when it came out {powerbar too - uugggghh........} I would do 100mi races on nothing but GU every time. I would mix it with water, 12 GU in a Lg. H2O bottle topped off & allowed to dissolve overnight as my "food" for the entire ride. YRMV....

impressive steve.

im trying to pick them up for next season. i prefer them ove power bar gel actually.

its really good shit.

so it will desolve in water huh
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've had gastro upsets with straight gel's (various brands) which is a nightmare in a long race with BB issues.... I can get away with it for short time trial, but haven't been game to try it again for long races. Maybe dissolving it in water and then just sipping it might be better if that really does work?? At the moment I stick with 1/2 strength poweraide or similar isotonic powders in all my water bottles which gives me about half my carb requirements and generally bananas or dried fruit as race and training food to get the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    impressive steve.

im trying to pick them up for next season. i prefer them ove power bar gel actually.

its really good shit.

so it will desolve in water huh
    it has to dissolve in H2O for your body to process it. we would mix our GU bottles the day before to let it mix, but your have to keep it chilled or it goes petri dish - a good sign, i reckon! we would also set ourself up with a flat coke H2O bottle for the homestretch. they were nice people to work with. FWIW, i had trouble with the belly taking them straight, diluted worked better {great} and was a more consistent release. I used to do non-stop solo 24hrs Mtb races.......240mi. off road was my "best" - Garro.