Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you stretch out tight legs?

Can you stretch out tight legs?

My legs are really tight, especially behind my knees, to the point I can't straighten my right one. Can this be corrected with just stretching? Or will it take something more?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Legs

Both of legs wont lay flat anymore. Even if they hand off the bed they wont pivot at the hip. My phsyical therapist said they can be but its a losing battle due the time I spend in the chair. I spend about 9 to 10 hrs a work and then another 3 or 4 at home in the chair most days so it is a battle to stretch out but if your able to stretch more it can be done.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    My legs are really tight, especially behind my knees, to the point I can't straighten my right one. Can this be corrected with just stretching? Or will it take something more?
    I have that problem with my shoulders and arms. I stretch 3-4 times a week and it at least keeps it from getting worse. 20 reps. I do mine in a hot shower and it helps. Took a year and a half but I was able to get more ROM up to a point.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I've never had a problem with tightness, I've always been flexible even before my injury. But I think if you continue the stretching I think you'll see results.

I asked my physical therapist about that with my left leg. Now, two to three times a week, I'll get in my recliner with a stool and pillow in front of me and put my leg up on the stool. After a few times of this, I used a bungy cord and 20 lb. weight just above the knee and just left gravity work.

Good luck with yours.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

you guys need to stand daily. wouldnt be happening. standing will stretch them back out if you dont have bone ossification or whatever its called behind your knees
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I am a walking quad and am very tight behind the knees and at the hips. I stand and walk daily but remain tight.

Last yr my 11 yo was very sick and developed knee contractures due to time in bed, etc. He alternates knee splints between legs at night. He stands, runs, walks, etc but remains very tight. Over a yr later he still has not regained his flexibility and extension but is much closer than before.

I use theraband to help stretch my knees and hips. I also lay on my stomach and hand my feet off the bed up to my shin. Light weights on the ankle will also help stretch you out. I do this while watching the news at night. Reality is flexibility is hard even as an Ab person. Keep working at it as it does make life easier when you are loose.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    you guys need to stand daily. wouldnt be happening. standing will stretch them back out if you dont have bone ossification or whatever its called behind your knees
    Not an option at this point. I tried putting my braces on last night, and it didn't go too well. First, my leg was too big for the brace, then after finally getting it on, I couldn't straighten my leg out enough to lock the brace. I'll have to try the other tricks before getting back into my braces.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

get a stander, then you can get your legs back in shape slowly.

rant========i cant believe it isnt mandatory that gimps leave rehab w/ a fucking stander. the sci "experts" just suck these days. unreal
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    Not an option at this point. I tried putting my braces on last night, and it didn't go too well. First, my leg was too big for the brace, then after finally getting it on, I couldn't straighten my leg out enough to lock the brace. I'll have to try the other tricks before getting back into my braces.
    Mike: Ask your doctor about the soft knee imobilizers. My son uses them, they are inexpensive and they do work. Best yet they can be done in your sleep. He saw progress in 2 weeks from imobolizer combined with exercise.
    Every day I wake up is a good one