Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin,flaps,fudge !!

Skin,flaps,fudge !!

I'm a fool. I new this wasn't going to work but I went along with it anyway !!

Some of you will know Bill has been struggling along with pressure sores for many years now. He's had flap surgery 3 times now - one subcutaneous and two rotation flaps. This last one looked good but for some reason they removed the drain the next day ..... I didn't think this was a good plan but for some reason I ignored the little voice in the back of my head and we went home as always .. optimistic and hopeful.

There wasn't alot of drainage initially but because Bill is up for for very brief periods of time during the course of the day to care for his ileostomy etc. it irritated the wound of course and now there is two stitches that have separated ... I poked a q-tip thru (and around) to clean the area .... and found that the tunnel and cavity are still there albeit not as big .. but I can't fathom that that it will fill in any quicker than if we had done nothing ...... I am so frustrated with our doctor and myself for not being more proactive about this procedure. When I re-dressed the wound ... as I gently kneaded the area to release any drainage it literally squirted out ...

I can't bear to tell Bill it isn't really any better than when we started .... his butt looks like a road map .... very similar to Ryebreads butt ..... he sleeps on a low air loss mattress we purchased 2 years ago thinking this would be the answer to a prayer but I don't know if it's even helped all that much.

I'm just really scared this time ..... I know he should be completely off that area of his body but aside from him going into the hospital until this thing heals I don't know how to make him understand ... he says his back gets sore from being on the same side all the time, it's hard for him to eat, he needs to sit upright to attend to his own care most of the time because I'm at work (ileostomy and cathing) ...... I just don't know what to do anymore! And to top it off he still has a small wound that refuses to close on his belly from his gall bladder surgery 5 years ago (caused by the mesh they used) that continues to leech out ... bit by bit ...... jesus mary and joseph ... how are we still sane !!!

I know you guys don't have the answers (although I know sci nurse is probably getting ready to let us have it ) I just had to air my vent !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Oh Obieone, My heart sinks for you. I live in fear of these things.

Dammit Joyce. Scary, sad, aggravating...vent away.

UGH!!!! I haven't posted recently, but had followed your skin issues. My husband had an abcess removed from his ischium the end of September which created a huge wound. He had to stay totally off of it until it closed on it's own, which finally happed April 21 and then he went to rehab to get back to sitting some.

I know it's difficult but they told us the only way to heal it was to stay totally off of it. Very difficult to do this, but Bobby was determined to get this thing healed so he could sit up some. I check that spot in fear every day now and hate to have to tell him if it is looking worse. I hate skin issues and we were lucky to go 26 years without any.

Anyway, I know how tough it is and will keep you guys in my prayers.
    Rosie, wife to Bobby
    C5 due to MVA in 1981

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Oh Obieone, My heart sinks for you. I live in fear of these things.

Oh no Linda .. please ..... be vigilant but do not live in fear.

Bill takes alot of the responsibility for where he is at with these sores. He never does skin checks he leaves that to me .... I do the best I can but I only have so much time ... besides it's his responsibility not mine ..... he insisted on going hunting when he knew he should have stayed in bed a few years back .... yada yada yada ....... he made choices (he says) to stay sane emotionally over staying "whole" physically is what it boils down to. I have no malice toward him .... just frustration at this whole living with sci thing ..... what will be will be ...

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 05-21-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obie, no words of wisdom unfortunately, but I am very sorry that you are having to deal with all this repetitively. Not fair, not fair at all.

Obie, I'm sorry. Some sweet words of tough love here. Bill 'knows' what he is supposed to do; but he also 'knows' you're right there to take care of him.

I don't know how your systems are set up in Canada, but here in the states some rehab facilities will take patients who have had flap surgery in the immediate post op period. Any chance there's something like that in Canada? If there is, and it's an option available to you, I think at this point I would 'strongly' suggest he hie his scarry ole' butt there to get healed, where they'll reinforce the staying off it better.

Skin issues are the pits. We constantly have something going on with Matt's skin, and I know how it feels. His problem is the skin in his groin fold area is so freakin thin and fragile, if you look at it wrong, it splits open.

You may keep the pipe for as long as you need it.

Don't just keep it-load it and light it! I think you've surpassed what chardonnay can reasonably be expected to cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    ...he made choices (he says) to stay sane emotionally over staying "whole" physically is what it boils down to.
    I'm sorry for both of you Obieone, pressure sores are a constant threat. But I understand where your husband is coming from regarding what I've quoted.

Best of luck Bill.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

sorry to hear all that joyce. you're a strong woman for sure
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings: