Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Glee's' Artie: Why Make Him a Pitiful Victim?

'Glee's' Artie: Why Make Him a Pitiful Victim?

'Glee's' Artie: Why Make Him a Pitiful Victim?

By Adam Wright
    Published: May 19, 2010
    I rarely talk about my personal life in my online posts. I rarely recap an episode, and I rarely write a commentary about a show.

However, today I will do all three.

The Fox mega-hit "Glee" has made its mark this year. It’s one of television's biggest hits of the year. It’s the tale of a group of high school underdogs and their glee club.

One of those underdogs is Artie (played by Kevin McHale, below right). Artie is in a wheelchair because of a spinal-cord injury.

Now readers, when I first saw Artie’s character, I said, “FINALLY!” Not many of you know, but I’m also physically disabled. I am in a wheelchair (left), and it was so refreshing to see a fellow physically disabled person prominently featured in a hit show.

Artie has been a minor character for most of the series' first season, with the exception of the great episode entitled “Wheels,” where he was highlighted.

read....

http://www.thewrap.com/blog-entry/gl...l-victim-17533

I dream about running nearly every night. What is wrong with that? Subconscious denial? Maybe. Maybe it will change in time. Or maybe it's just my instincts.

Does the writer of the article want Artie to freestyle and dance like able-bodied people? He's confined to the chair. It's not pitiful; it's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Does the writer of the article want Artie to freestyle and dance like able-bodied people? He's confined to the chair. It's not pitiful; it's reality.
    you find a lot of people feel that being in a chair means you have something to prove to others. I don't want anyone's pity but that also doesn't mean it doesn't suck being in this fuckin chair. I don't really care what people think about me being in a chair I just want out of this contraption. i have nothing to prove i just want a fuller life to live.

Artie is kind of a jerk sometimes. When he snapped at his gf, blamed her for his trying to walk and falling, he wasn't pathetic. He was a jerk, I thought.

Glee is often open to interpretation. I think they had to introduce his dancing this epi. Did anyone know he used to be in a boyband? NLT or somesuch, he dances like it.

I've wiped out on crutches many a time. Hopefully I wasn't pathetic? At least Glee got the author out of his closet. It does stimulate convos.

Eric, I think I understand your post. The last thing I want to do is impress people with my effort or my progress. I know that no matter what I do everyday, My condition will never improve without a breakthru in therapy. I would like to get out of my chair, look at it , and walk toward a future with recovery. I look at the walking path I traveled 5 miles/day for the last 25 years. I strain my hope to do it again or at least walk on it again. It's difficult realizing that my efforts will not get me to where I want to go. I know there are people who work, adapt, and move on. We're all different; I want a chance to work and recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    you find a lot of people feel that being in a chair means you have something to prove to others. I don't want anyone's pity but that also doesn't mean it doesn't suck being in this fuckin chair. I don't really care what people think about me being in a chair I just want out of this contraption. i have nothing to prove i just want a fuller life to live.
    Oh, but those are people I love giving the finger to. They're so impressed by my finger's athletic ability.

I wonder how many quads started practicing flipping the bird while still in rehab? LOL, I think I mastered that before I'd nailed down toothbrushing!

I like Artie because he's not the Magical Gimp, always happy and inspirational. I get annoyed at fictional characters that seem to have been placed on Earth to humble and inspire the AB population.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I wonder how many quads started practicing flipping the bird while still in rehab? LOL, I think I mastered that before I'd nailed down toothbrushing! .

A good OT can make you a splint for that.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I like Artie because he's not the Magical Gimp, always happy and inspirational. I get annoyed at fictional characters that seem to have been placed on Earth to humble and inspire the AB population.

What are you talking about “fictional characters”? We have those characters right here on CareCure. They do somewhat difficult things most of us don’t consider a priority, tell us it is easy (but we should still be impressed and inspired) and call us all pussies if we don't do the same.

Being in a chair is pitiful