Thread: Only dead scientists are known to teens

Only dead scientists are known to teens

Only dead scientists are known to teens

Rebecca Smithers, education editor
    Friday June 17, 2005
    The Guardian

Teenagers are so out of touch with modern science that they cannot name a single living scientist, a survey reveals today.
    Environmentalist and broadcaster David Bellamy was the closest that two out of almost 1,000 respondents got. Others cited Madonna, Chemical Ali, Leonardo da Vinci and Christopher Columbus. Some students even plumped for their science teachers.

Students, aged 13-16, were asked to name a famous scientist in an online survey carried out by exam board OCR. Isaac Newton (39%) and Albert Einstein (29%) topped the list, which included Marie Curie, Charles Darwin and Alexander Fleming; but the students were stumped when it came to naming living scientists.

The findings also reveal that although eight out of 10 students (79%) said scientists were clever, just 7% said they were "cool or fun". Over half (51%) said they thought science lessons were boring, confusing or difficult - feelings that intensified as students progressed through secondary school in years 9, 10 and 11.

Students also resented the fact that science is compulsory, with many wishing to drop it at GCSE. If given the choice, 45% of students would take biology GCSE, 32% chemistry, 29% physics, 19% combined science and 16% would opt out altogether. Clara Kenyon, OCR's director of general assessment, said: "The results go to show the growing apathy in today's students about science ... It is startling that no students named those responsible for recent scientific advances, for example, Ian Wilmut, who cloned Dolly the sheep, or Professor Colin Pillinger, who headed the Beagle 2 space probe to Mars project.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/scien...508424,00.html

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

High time to put Wise portrait in Anas bedroomlol

Slogan will be- Wake up with Wise Young!

WOW I was a geek as a kid as i loved science and hated art. Guess thhat explains why i did my masters in engineering

p.s i had to edit this 2 times for spelling.....dooh

I was a science junkie, and loved art.

I could do increadable scientific graphic ilistrations as a kid, and had so much fun doing them. I belonged to every science club in high school that I could and ended up going to college and getting a BS degree in biology, was going to go to school to get my MD but my health (not the disability itself) interfered with that.

My biggest problem in school was algebra, but once I got through that, calculus was kind of fun, especially with the professor we had as he had a sense of humor. Teaching with a sense of humor and using wild analogies really helps people learn. If you get in front of a class and just gunt out the lessons in a dry manner, no matter the subject, a kid or an adult will not show interst.

Also, have you seen how BAD the kids are with history, even kids that are seniors in high school??? Its unbeleiveable! They say they saw a move about something and they just say it about some war. "What war?" you ask, "I don't know." is their answer.

"What kind of uniforms were they wearing?" you ask. The answer you get is, "The kind soldiers wear." Agggggghhhhhhh......you want to strangle them, but its not their fault, its the darn schools.

The expression they use is "way back then" or "back in the day". When you ask, 1900, 1914? 10940's? 1960's? Was it durring the Roman times? Middle ages? 1600's? 1700's? 1800's? No concept of time, place or what happened. Its like they are floating around in this weird bubble, with no sense of where they lives fit into the scheme of things. Its so sad as we are going to repeat the mistakes of the past, because they are our future leaders........

Something has to be done to get rid of this thing about being smart is being a nerd or out of fashon. Its sad becaoue basic stuff isn't getting taught. I do not want to blame teachers, or parents, or kids. What is it? Because this stuff is intersting and "cool".

Because I have so many young people working for me whenever I get a chance, I try to show them stuff in a fun way. Like getting excited about it. For example if they are in school, and they mention something about world war two, or the great depression, I talk of the things my parents told me. Or if they talk about the Viet nam war I tell them about my experience of living durring that time. I try to get my older friends when they are here, to talk about their childhood so they have some perspective, done in a fun way (they do not know they are learning, but they are).