Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCI Nurse, Please explain my urodynamic report and advise

SCI Nurse, thanks for all the information. Nice to know about tenodesis/splints. Infact it can be very helpful to c6 level quad not only in cathing but performing other daily tasks. Unfortunately these are not available here.I would like to get and use it. I will show it to orthotist here so that he can make it for other quads as well.
    It definitely can bring some sort of independence in quad life.

I still need some more information about superapubic catheter.
    Thanks

I couldn't find the question(s) that you had about sp tube, so I will pass on some general information and if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

The Suprapubic tube is a catheter that is inserted directly into the wall of the bladder. It is the same type of catheter as a uretheral catheter, only slightly larger. The benefits to the sp tube over a foley catheter are: it is larger so it doesn't plug as frequently, due to the place that the tube is inserted, it is easier to change than a urethral catheter and some people feel as though they have more sexual freedom. Most importantly, it is no t permanent. However, it is still an indwelling catheter, so you are prone to infections more than with other types of bladder management programs. Also, stone formation may be slightly higher in people with indwelling catheters.

You need to weigh the risks and benefits for you after you speak more with your doctor. Make sure that you get all of your questions answered.

Hope that this helps.

CKF

SCI Nurse, please answer my few more question regarding sp catheter.
    1.My friend told me that if you start using spc then if tomorrow the cure comes and you start walking then still you will have to carry urine bag.Is it true?
    2.Can one change from sp to other methods like reflex voiding or intermittent?
    3.The hole made in bladder for spc be closed if needed or it is permanent?
    4.while using sp c is there chances of urine leakage into the stomach?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asif View Post
    SCI Nurse, please answer my few more question regarding sp catheter.
    1.My friend told me that if you start using spc then if tomorrow the cure comes and you start walking then still you will have to carry urine bag.Is it true?
    No. If there was a true cure, and you got voluntary voiding control back, then a SP could be removed. Normal voiding could resume, although your bladder would most likely have a very small capacity. SP catheters are often used for ABs recovering from pelvic surgery and they are removed all the time once the healing is complete.

2.Can one change from sp to other methods like reflex voiding or intermittent?
    In theory, yes, but with a significantly shrunken bladder if you used a SP for a long time, you might have to have a surgical augmentation to achieve safe and acceptable bladder capacity to do IC. Reflex voiding is rarely recommended due to problems with high pressures, DSD, and long-term bladder decompensation, and may or may not be possible after a long time use of any indwelling catheter.

3.The hole made in bladder for spc be closed if needed or it is permanent?
    It usually closes up quite quickly if the SP catheter is removed (we require reinsertion of the catheter within 2 minutes when changing it for this reason), but if it does not close on its own, it can be closed with a minor surgical procedure.

4.while using sp c is there chances of urine leakage into the stomach?
    No, your stomach is in the upper abdomen and no where near your bladder. If you mean can urine leak into your abdominal cavity (in the retroperitoneal space), yes, that can occur when the SP is first placed, but once the stoma heals, this could only happen if the catheter was traumatically inserted all the way through the bladder wall.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD. all your answers helped alot in understanding the whole procedure.