Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey State to Cut Spinal Cord Injury Research Funds

New Jersey State to Cut Spinal Cord Injury Research Funds

In 1999, the state of New Jersey passed a law which took $1 from each traffic ticket and put that towards the funding of spinal cord injury research. In 2003 and then 2005, the state legislature passed similar legislation to take $1 from traffic tickets to pay for brain injury and autism research. The laws states that the money cannot be used for any other purpose. The New Jersey Commission for Spinal Cord Research funds approximately $3.5 million of spinal cord injury research per year. When I first came to New Jersey in 1997, there was little spinal cord injury research being done in the state. Now, there are over a dozen laboratories doing spinal cord injury research.

I just learned that Governor Chris Christie will be taking $5 million from the NJ Commission for Spinal Cord Research... this is the amount that was unspent from last year and this coming year's amounts. This will not only devastate the spinal cord injury program in the state but many students and fellows who are being funded by the Commission will no longer be getting their funding. The funds for spinal cord injury research are not coming from tax revenues. It comes from traffic tickets. The money was specifically designated for the purpose of supporting spinal cord injury research.

It is true that the legislature has tacked on autism and brain injury to traffic tickets since 1999 but this does not mean that the original rationale for using traffic offences to correct one of the consequences of motor vehicle violations. About half of all spinal cord injuries come from motor vehicular accidents. It is appropriate for $1 to be taken from each traffic violation to support spinal cord injury research. It is wrong and illegal for Governor Christie to take this money from the Commission to pay for budgetary deficits.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    In 1999, the state of New Jersey passed a law which took $1 from each traffic ticket and put that towards the funding of spinal cord injury research. In 2003 and then 2005, the state legislature passed similar legislation to take $1 from traffic tickets to pay for brain injury and autism research. The laws states that the money cannot be used for any other purpose. The New Jersey Commission for Spinal Cord Research funds approximately $3.5 million of spinal cord injury research per year. When I first came to New Jersey in 1997, there was little spinal cord injury research being done in the state. Now, there are over a dozen laboratories doing spinal cord injury research.

I just learned that Governor Chris Christie will be taking $5 million from the NJ Commission for Spinal Cord Research... this is the amount that was unspent from last year and this coming year's amounts. This will not only devastate the spinal cord injury program in the state but many students and fellows who are being funded by the Commission will no longer be getting their funding. The funds for spinal cord injury research are not coming from tax revenues. It comes from traffic tickets. The money was specifically designated for the purpose of supporting spinal cord injury research.

It is true that the legislature has tacked on autism and brain injury to traffic tickets since 1999 but this does not mean that the original rationale for using traffic offences to correct one of the consequences of motor vehicle violations. About half of all spinal cord injuries come from motor vehicular accidents. It is appropriate for $1 to be taken from each traffic violation to support spinal cord injury research. It is wrong and illegal for Governor Christie to take this money from the Commission to pay for budgetary deficits.

Wise.
    Yes, it is wrong. What can be done to block this?

We must fight this

Jim, this hurts in a lot of ways. We must not use this as an excuse for clinical trials not to continue. This is the reality of the whole issue. If Dr Youngs trials show breakthrus, then funding will resume. Remeber the burger meisters. We must get positive results from trials that prove "proof of concept". Put to rest the argument of whollyier than though and show advances that will put these idiots to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    Yes, it is wrong. What can be done to block this?
    I had heard about this last week but couldn't find any other confirming source. However, my source is impeccable and is a good position to know. The New Jersey legislature is now considering the budgets for the coming year and I am trying to find out what the best avenue for protesting is.

Wise.

So where is the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation at in all of this? shouldn't they be fighting this battle for us? I read where New York has a simailar program that is also getting cut.

It's a crime to take from the disabled community and from a fund that was specifically set up for research to balance a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by rjames View Post
    So where is the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation at in all of this? shouldn't they be fighting this battle for us?
    The Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act bill isn't even funded yet. I think their plate is full.

lest we not forget; Sen Arlin Specter lost in his bid for reelction to the Senate. Spector is a wise man and understnads the implications of stem cell research and therapies. His position on this didn't even raise an issue in this elcetion. Ny fear is that more burgermeisters will be in Congress and try to arrest the progress in stem cell therapies. We nedd a brekthru that will put these people to rest. As I said before, stem cells look promising for ms, als, heart attack victims and lther maladies. The science is moving forward and gaining momentum and a posotive outcome in Dr Young's trials will propel this thing forward.

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    The science is moving forward and gaining momentum and a posotive outcome in Dr Young's trials will propel this thing forward.
    Hope and waiting won't take us any further. Working and taking actions will. Please, be aware of this once for all.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

I suggest both will work. The market will be driven by success. Legalization of funding will take place both by success and grass roots. Don't ever underestimate the rule of success.