Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking external catheters

Question Leaking external catheters

I'm using the Rochester Pop-On external catheters. Recently I've had trouble with them leaking. I put one on this morning and the first time I urinated it came completely off. Urine was everywhere. This has happened several times recently. I gave Rochester Medical the lot number and they said they hadn't had any problems with those. I'm sending some back for them to test the adhesive and they are sending me a few more. I started using these about two years ago because of retraction. They worked better at first than they have lately.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there another brand I could try that's newer or better? I think retraction is a problem for me, but it seems unusual when some work fine and others don't. Any comments or advice is appreciated.

I've been using Coloplast (formerly Mentor) Freedom Clear LS for some 8-9 years with good success. The only time I had problems was this past December when I came down with a yeast infection and the condoms wouldn't stick until could get it cleared up.

Do you use skin prep? this helps them stick. You might get some freebies from bard and some of the other companies to try.
    CWO

Have you tried the extra thin type designed to combat retraction, they come with separate glue.

http://www.manfredsauer.co.uk/sheaths.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    Have you tried the extra thin type designed to combat retraction, they come with separate glue.

http://www.manfredsauer.co.uk/sheaths.asp
    Do they sell to people in the USA? I didn't see that on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie2130 View Post
    Do they sell to people in the USA? I didn't see that on their website.
    I don't know johnnie, they're a German company but even if they don't export to the US there must be similar products on sale in America, I'll Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    I don't know johnnie, they're a German company but even if they don't export to the US there must be similar products on sale in America, I'll Google.
    Thanks. I'm looking too.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you use skin prep? this helps them stick. You might get some freebies from bard and some of the other companies to try.
    CWO
    I haven't been, but started using one yesterday. I think it's made by Smith and Nephews. I've had them for a while.

I've had a similar problem with the Rochester Pop-On's. Some stuck so well I had trouble getting them off, and I had to buy some special adhesive remover to get them off without damaging the skin. Lately, I've had trouble keeping them on. These are all from the same box/lot number. I've been using them for years with great success, but this last box has me wondering about their consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by fido View Post
    I've had a similar problem with the Rochester Pop-On's. Some stuck so well I had trouble getting them off, and I had to buy some special adhesive remover to get them off without damaging the skin. Lately, I've had trouble keeping them on. These are all from the same box/lot number. I've been using them for years with great success, but this last box has me wondering about their consistency.
    That's pretty much the same thing I'm dealing with.