Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Summer Heat and Quads

It sounds like we midwest people had the same experiences yesterday.
    We crave the sun and warm weather after a long winter and gloomy spring.
    We went for a walk. (I should say I went for the walk, he went for a roll)It was warm and sunny with a strong breeze. Dave wore a floppy hat.
    I urged him to take extra fluids and he ended up with swollen ankles and feet.

i agree w/ the drinking of water just filling u up. but a little ice cold water can help. but getting ur skin wet is the most effective way to cool off in the heat. on some offshore fishing trips when it got really hot, i've had to use towels dunked in the ice water of the cooler in order to cool down. now that's refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz99 View Post
    getting ur skin wet is the most effective way to cool off in the heat.
    yup, this is the "trick."

think about it... if you can't sweat, how can you simulate it as best as possible?

I have to tell a little story about this...I was teaching a class for nurses at a local LTAC which occasionally takes SCI patients for vent weaning. They didn't know much about SCI, so one of the things I was explaining was about the thermoregulation problems we have been talking about above. I told them that it is especially important to use the right types of cooling measures if the patient has a fever...including spraying them down with cool water to create "artificial sweat" and then turning on a fan to aid with more effective evaporative cooling. I talked about this in detail.

The next day I got a phone call from the facility's pharmacist, asking we where they could purchase artificial sweat! He said his nursing staff told him it was essential that they have this to use for the SCI patients. I told him it was almost free...just go to the sink, and turn on the water and fill up the spray bottle!!

(KLD)

Makes you wonder where the pharmacist (and nurses) went to school. There is much to be said for common sense, but maybe it can't be taught. Ya got it or ya don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I have to tell a little story about this...I was teaching a class for nurses at a local LTAC which occasionally takes SCI patients for vent weaning. They didn't know much about SCI, so one of the things I was explaining was about the thermoregulation problems we have been talking about above. I told them that it is especially important to use the right types of cooling measures if the patient has a fever...including spraying them down with cool water to create "artificial sweat" and then turning on a fan to aid with more effective evaporative cooling. I talked about this in detail.

The next day I got a phone call from the facility's pharmacist, asking we where they could purchase artificial sweat! He said his nursing staff told him it was essential that they have this to use for the SCI patients. I told him it was almost free...just go to the sink, and turn on the water and fill up the spray bottle!!

(KLD)
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Spray bottle, spray bottle, spray bottle and spray bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The next day I got a phone call from the facility's pharmacist, asking we where they could purchase artificial sweat! He said his nursing staff told him it was essential that they have this to use for the SCI patients.
    There is much to be said for common sense, but maybe it can't be taught.
    You can't fix stupid.

beauty fades, dumb is forever - judge judy
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Always carry a gallon jug filled with water in your car in case you break down or your a/c breaks.
    Once I forgot. I was at the pool at my Mom's condo. I went in the pool just before driving the two miles home as I knew the a/c was broken in my black (but cool looking) car. Luck be with me (not) I just passed the last off ramp when a bad collision happened on the crest of the overpass completely stopping traffic. The opposite lanes cleared allowing access for emergency vehiciles. My long thick hair dried as I waited. My anxiety level was building while I sat in my balck (but cool looking) broken a/c car in Sunny Florida's heat. I tried getting attention, pictured headlines the next day, "Quadriplegic dies from heat exhaustion when para-medics 30' away" and similar twistid titles.
    The injured got loaded, sirens taking them away and I finally see my lane moving. They tried to stop me to let the other move and I leaned on my horn almost hoping they'd try to ticket me. That would mean help even if I passed out before getting someone to understand (inside an ambulance is a/conditioned). I was now less then a mile from home!
    I vaguely remember turning off the hi-way, the same turning down my street. I next remember having hose water running on me seated in my black (but cool looking) car. My sig-ot had called Mother several times (pre cell) until finally hearing I had left an hour prior. He had heard sirens so was outside almost ready to go looking. He said I was driving like a snail, pulled in the driveway saying water. I wouldn't let hin help me out, just kept repeating water as he got the hose next to the car ran it over my head. Of course nosy neighbor, wife and coctails (straight gin) came by trying to start a conversation.
    It took a good half hour to be lucid and get inside to the a/c. I'm frightened to know I drove wiith no memory and what would have happened if the sig-ot wasn't becoming somewhat concerned?
    Another time a friend picked up his spanking new van at Braun Corp near my home prior to going away for a long weekend with friends. He lived 3hrs from me so let me use the brand new van on the condition I watch his 3 yapping, ankle biting sheding dogs who were furniture climbers, mine don't.
    I know mechanical things break on me but on day 2, braved it and took new van to the grocery store. Going down the lift it stopped half way. It was in mid summer in Florida. So here I've got once good friends extremely expensive van and broke it. I started calling strangers and trying to explain being hot and about the hydrolic lift I knew nothing about while perched 3 to 4 feet off the ground. Of course I got the "I can fix everything automotive" guy climbing in scaring me enough to look for someone to call Braun. I then realized The water I had poured over my head reached my white shirt making it transparent. By now it seemed it was retiree male sale day at the grocery store with me perched in the slanted paint off the ground giving my own wet white shirt show.
    Shockingly, the red neck car guy fixed the lift. I was thankful, embarassed, didn't shop, went home and surprisingly the lift still worked for the life of his ownership.
    I never told my friend about the lift mishap or that I didn't use it again. I had a reputation on w/c sports road trips about my driving (most might let me navigate).
    Anyway--Carry a Gallon Jug of Water at all times. I also have my handd held fan bought at Wal-Mart in my back pack.

I get around with a cane to some extent. The first thing I notice is that my body gets heavier and more sluggish. This comes about in a hurry. When outdoors at home I dont use a squirt bottle I use the water hose. Dont expect much, there is not a good alternative to the body cooling itself. When your blood vessels dont dialate and let the blood pump to the surface to cool............we have problems.