Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in an Elevator... WHAT??

Stuck in an Elevator... WHAT??

Yea so I was at my little brothers high school graduation tonight and decided to explore to find some fresh air. I found an elevator which I took note of to tell my dad since we hadn't found it coming into the ceremony. (I got in the chair via the lifting of the chair technique). Well when the ceremony was over and pictures were taken I said hey theres an elevator blah blah blah. Of course there was a line to use it with all of the other people that needed it. It was one of those 1-2 people elevators and my dad and I were the last ones in line. The lady ahead of us went down fine, I called the elevator back to the floor we were on, wheeled in read the directions and hit the button. I had been talking to my dad and passed the floor up slightly. I tried hitting the button to return to the floor we needed but the elevator had died and we were in the middle of two floors. WTF!!!! So we sat there for a good long while until the firemen could come and get my dad and I out. Serioiusly...note to self.... Learn to go down a set of stairs in my chair......

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Oh good grief! What a weird thing to happen.

that has happened to me more than once.
    i'm graduating soon and will never live NOT on the 1st floor as I'm over elevator issues BIG time!
    last time the elevator broke someone told me to walk down the stairs, nice eh?
    it does NOT help that I'm stuck w/ the last name of Walker but oh well, anyway sorry that happened to you!

Sorry about the mishap. On a lighter note u did get to see some eye candy (aka cute firefighters!)

Awful experience but a great story to tell, Beckers. You're having quite the couple of months, aren't you?

I'm with Kel13 re: first floor living only. Had two apartments when I first moved to DC that were on the 2nd and then 5th floors that I got locked out of for 10 plus hours due to power failures. The one time was torture because I didn't take the time to hit the bathroom before leaving work -- figured I'd just go in my own bathroom when I arrived at home. Seeing my building dark and the stoplights out as I drove up was horrifying. Finally ended up going door to on the first floor begging for someone to let me pee (one kind soul did after management vouched for me) then dragged myself up five flights of stairs while a maintenance guy carried my chair (didn't trust them to carry me). Never, ever, again.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I never got stuck in one but I have had my share of elevator mishaps. The worst one happened in my university dorm. It was a small elevator and no one else was around so when I got on it, I did not bother to turn around to face the door. When it stopped and the door opened, I just gave a push back to get out, not seeing that the elevator stopped about 18 inches above the floor level. Of course, I went over backwards and got my bell rung good. Fortunately there were a couple med students standing nearby who helped me up and rushed me to the university hospital about a block away. I spent the night in the ER for observation after being checked out.

I guess that is what getting educated in "the school of hard knocks" is all about. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by scifor55yrs. View Post
    i never got stuck in one but i have had my share of elevator mishaps. The worst one happened in my university dorm. It was a small elevator and no one else was around so when i got on it, i did not bother to turn around to face the door. When it stopped and the door opened, i just gave a push back to get out, not seeing that the elevator stopped about 18 inches above the floor level. Of course, i went over backwards and got my bell rung good. Fortunately there were a couple med students standing nearby who helped me up and rushed me to the university hospital about a block away. I spent the night in the er for observation after being checked out.

I guess that is what getting educated in "the school of hard knocks" is all about. Lol
    ouch!

Linda and Medic - Thanks. I was ok obviously. It was just super weird since it worked not two seconds before. Stupid technology . Ahhh yes the eye candy . There would have been more eye candy if it had been a city elevator!

HC- Yea quite the couple months in deed. This year is already on my it can't get much worse list, and its only May...

SCIfor55 - Ouch!! glad your ok . I would have tried to crawl out if the stupid door would have even opened but it was one of those where if its not flush with the floor the door stays locked. I couldn't turn around either. My dad was taking up the other half of the elevator and everytime I would try to turn I would get his feet. I didn't want an angry dad in a trapped elevator .

Kel - Im all with you on first floor living!!!! First floor everything!!!!!!

Becky
    since 1/3/04

This has happened to me a lot over the years. The most memorable was when I was taking my mother out for Mother's Day. She lived in senior housing and a lot of folks just didn't hear that well, so they did not hear our banging and yelling. No cell phone back then so it was sit and wait, wait some more, and then finally someone called the fire dept. My mother was terrified and joked with the firemen that if they just gave her breakfast in the morning she would rather stay in the elevator till it was fixed. They, of course, told her that they needed to lift her out. Meanwhile a little gathering of the curious had formed, so all this had to be done in front of people who found it more exciting than most things in their life, and who didn't mind staring......

Eileen - That was the thing I was most gratefull for. The lady who went down ahead of me was an elderly lady. I was just happy that she didn't get stuck in there. I think she would have been a little freaked out. Especially when the lights went out.

Becky
    since 1/3/04