Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Helping Mom Help Herself (Toileting)

Sounds like you are using a sling like us, we have the chains on the hoyer lift and on the ceiling lift, the sling then is either mesh or fabric with four metal bars in it that have holes in them for the chain hooks. I don't think alot of people recommend this type of sling anymore. Now they are going to a sling that has 6 different loops on it and is completely adjustable to allow sitting or laying. It can be put on sitting up or laying down therefore it can be removed while sitting in the chair so the patient isnt sitting on it all day long. I have tried several of these and just don't like them myself for the fact that David can't get it on himself and is stuck in the chair without being able to get up with the ceiling lift. If we leave it on, all of the loops are very long and get caught in the wheels of his chair. If you do a google search for hoyer slings you can find the different ones available. But you need to make sure the sling is compatable with your lift.

Keep in mind that Hoyer is a brand name, and that the old Hoyer lifts with the chains are no longer made (there was a large recall for safety issues with these over 6 years ago). There are many different (and better) brands of lifts than Hoyer.

A sling that is usually called a "hygiene" or "bathing sling" is the best (and the only type we use at the hospital where I work or issue for outpatients) because it can be easily removed and placed while sitting or laying down, and leaves the bottom open for easy transfers onto the toilet or perineal cleaning after toileting. Here is a picture of one of these types:

Pressure ulcers can easily develop when sitting all day on a sling because the sling itself or the seams of the sling can cause pressure and totally remove the pressure reducing features of the pressure reducing wheelchair cushion that the person with paralysis should be using. In addition, as noted above, slings can get caught in wheels or on hands and create a serious safety problem when the person remains on the sling with the chair in motion. Pressure ulcers are not due to the surface contact with the sling, but are due to deep tissue blood flow reduction or loss due to pressure of the buttocks soft tissue against the seat.

(KLD)

KLD - OK now I am wondering, we have the Hoyer Advance patient lifter and a BMH ceiling lift, I bought chains from our local pharmacy/medical supplier and also a Hoyer sling, the type that has the commode opening. I have both the fabric one and the mesh one for showering. I use the chains on the Hoyer Advance and the ceiling lift because as I mentioned, David can manipulate the chains much better by himself than all of those loops and there is no way he can use the looped slings by himself. He really only has the good use of his right arm. I know this is not recommended but there are times we have to do what is best for us because the finances for hiring an aid all day long is just not feasible. What was the recall for? We have been doing this for 4 1/2 years and I just had to buy another fabric sling as the original was getting worn at the seams, and I didn't want it to fail on him.

They older Hoyer that was designed for use with the slings with chains (no longer made) was recalled because of a high risk of the lift tipping over with a person in it.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    They older Hoyer that was designed for use with the slings with chains (no longer made) was recalled because of a high risk of the lift tipping over with a person in it.

(KLD)
    You mean the Hoyer brand, right? We use an Invacare version of one of these types of lists, like this...

http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhq...OID=-536885361

We take Dave's sling off during the day (after in chair) and put it back on to put him to bed. By leaning him forward and stuffing it behind his back and under his bottom and then pulling the legs through the sides.That is the easiest for me and I can do it alone. He is a big guy and I am not that strong. I have the hardest time if someone isn't here to help me get it under him in the morning and have hurt myself trying to do it.The shape of his sling is simalar to the one SCI nurse posted and he has a power lift.

I spoke with my mom about getting someone in to look at out setup and give us a quote on a power lift, and she seemed ... OK with it.

So, I think that will be the first step!

I think I'll start with Sure Hands and work from there. I've gotten some good info from some of the other threads on the boards.

Getting her to "seem OK with it" is a good start.

OK, I finally have some time to deal with moving this forward.

Question for everyone: I was thinking of just starting the research on my own. First job would be to contact some of the lift people and have them come in for pricing and demos. Do you think this is the best method of attack, or should we try to meet up with a Physiatrist?

Are there any medical supply stores in your area? There is a large one here that sells scooters, shower supplies etc. It is where we rent the ventilator from.They came to give me an estimate on a ceiling ($$$) lift.
    If there is a place that can do demos I would do that.
    Our lift and sling were ordered when Dave was in rehab. The PT's taught us how to use it.
    Good luck!