Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Helping Mom Help Herself (Toileting)

Yes, it was brought up. Because of her anatomy and disease she has virtually no bladder control. Most of the time the disposable underwear gets it, but sometimes if it isn't lined up we have a mess.

It was brought up by a urologist who basically said there was no other option for her.

I think that with a combination of the ceiling track might work, but I certainly would need to learn more about the ceiling track. (AND get mom on board with all of it. )

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    I actually bought our ceiling lift from SilverCreek, they shipped it to me and then my dad and I installed it, we only ended up spending like $5000. It is only a straight beam though with the lift that lifts David up and then over into the chair. I put the sling on David at night and he is able to get himself up and into the chair and back in bed to nap if needed during the day. David also has a suprapubic cath and we do a bowel program that has really really helped alot.
    So, he can only go from bed to wheelchair, and not a commode chair? I guess it sounds like he doesn't need it with the cath and the BP.

Can you tell your mother that you need her to be more independent, without hurting her feelings? I don't understand where she's coming from, if my son had to care for me that way I'd do anything to minimize the issues. She could even have a foley cath, I guess, no surgery required.

Tell her colostomies and suprapubic caths are both reversible. It might make her feel better, even if you know that reverse is never going to happen.

I remember my mom made me keep a potato peeler for 25 years, in case she ever got out of the nursing home (she had a horrible stroke). I actually didn't keep it but saw no harm in her thinking her potato peeler was ready for blast-off.

Eventually that diaper will take its toll on her skin. You might want to show her what flap surgery looks like, sounds like she's working w/ incomplete info.

The way bedroom is set up we only have room for Davids wheelchair or commode chair on the side of the bed, not both. So if I put the sling under him and leave the wheelchair on the side of the bed he can get up and into the wheelchair. When I am there I put the commode chair there, pull down his pants (he can't do that either), remove the depends (he wears just as precaution) insert the suppository and then lift him up and put him over onto the commode chair. Hope this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Can you tell your mother that you need her to be more independent, without hurting her feelings? I don't understand where she's coming from, if my son had to care for me that way I'd do anything to minimize the issues. She could even have a foley cath, I guess, no surgery required.
    It's tough. We've tried various ways of doing that, and it always kind of ends up in a argument. Then I feel guilty, like maybe I should be doing MORE. (Then I find this forum, and see how much more so many people have to deal with, and it makes me feel even WORSE!) But then I realize most of the time it's not because my wife and I are out galavanting, it's because we are taking our 2 young children to activities (soccer, etc.).

I agree with you about me taking care of her, and I think somewhere she has to be mortified that I (and my wife) have to help her in this way. But we're all she has, and she doesn't have a lot of money, and I think she's scared of the alternatives. Fight or flight response, I've been thinking in my head.

Just don't really know what to do or where to go at this point. I was hoping to find a magic answer on the Internet, but I don't think it is out there. Like maybe something we've missed.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Eventually that diaper will take its toll on her skin. You might want to show her what flap surgery looks like, sounds like she's working w/ incomplete info.
    We have been lucky so far in that the diaper we are using has caused NO issues. (Other than leaking.) It seems like a great product. But it is very possible we have incomplete info...
    Last edited by YBill; 05-19-2010 at 04:05 PM.

A brief home health rehab program might be helpful. A rehabilitation nurse could help plan bowel, bladder and skin management, and OT could help with activities of daily living and adaptive equipment planning, and a PT help with transfers and mobility issues. The same could possibly be done through a local rehabilitation center's outpatient clinic, and a physician you might want to work with would be a physiatrist.

Sitting on the lift sling all day, and wearing a diaper all day is potentially a skin time-bomb waiting to blow up in your face. There are better options.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Sitting on the lift sling all day, and wearing a diaper all day is potentially a skin time-bomb waiting to blow up in your face. There are better options.
    Is it always a problem? Like I said we've been working like this for a year or so and never had any problems at all. Not even irritated skin.

Could you briefly detail what other options you mean (unless you are referring to what was already mentioned in this post)?

some possible options:
    • Doing a bowel program daily so she does not have to go to the toilet at other times.
    • Using an indwelling catheter to contain her urine.
    • Using a female urinal in the wheelchair to void.
    • Doing intermittent catheterization (by another) in her wheelchair.
    • Using a sling that can be easily removed/replaced while seated to avoid sitting on it all day long.
    • Hiring private PCA assistance for key times when she needs care and family is not available.
    How progressive is her ALS? Some people progress faster than others. Those who walk full time are in the minority. You may want to check out some of the ALS on-line forums for support and ideas as well.

Can you get her here on this forum herself?

(KLD)

David sits on his sling all day long and has for 4 1/2 years now and also wears depends, the cloth type. When he first got MS the hospital had him in plastic diapers and they caused blisters on his legs from rubbing. That is the only problem we ever had with skin. He also sits on a Jay2 cushion, maybe we have just been lucky. We just had the supra pubic put in about 2 years ago and the bowel program was started about 6 months ago.

My mom wears a nightgown/housecoat that is between her and the sling. Perhaps that is why we've never had any issues.

I don't know how we would ever get the sling on/off her in the wheelchair. Right now the only way to get out of the sling is if we put her onto the bed. She can roll from side to side, and we just remove it half at a time. Once she is on it, she is on it, and there's no way I can imagine getting it back under her. She is able to "move around" in the chair during the day, so she's not just stationary.

Her ALS is very slow progressing. She lost her ability to use her legs pretty quickly. It this time last year she was able to stand and transfer with a little help, but she hasn't been up on her feet in about a year.

I do not think she would join the forums. Everything is really a "battle". I mentioned to her even reading some forums to get ideas, and she didn't respond well to it.

We've been using Tranquilty diapers. They work much better for us than the Depends.