Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paralyzed and Pregnant: Four Years Later

I think you just have to be careful about passing judgment because of the editors. I thought about inviting her to this board--I really think the nurses and members could help her. From what I watched, I think if she could get her physical problems under control she would be a lot better emotionally.

I have never been on bedrest but I can only imagine the hell it is. But bedrest and dealing with the medical issues she is dealing with has to be taking its toll.

In the original show I was irritated by how she was uneducated about SCI and its effects on her body but talked to the audience like she was an expert and all SCIs had her problems, which there were no answers for. Heck she not only spent nine months in bed. She spent nine months in bed curled up on her left side.

Even healthy pregnant women will usually read a book or two about pregnancy. She could have read one about SCI and one about pregnancy. Then she would have been worlds ahead.

I feel bad for her but she was basically saying,

“I’ve tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas.”

Quote Originally Posted by noryn View Post
    I have never been on bedrest but I can only imagine the hell it is. But bedrest and dealing with the medical issues she is dealing with has to be taking its toll.

I've been there for months before. It sucks and is depressing but you still have to have someone doing range of motion with you, exercise at least your arms, change sides and position you are laying in, sit up in bed so your head is higher than your body etc. You have to make sure you degrade as little as possible so that when it is time to work towards getting up again you are not starting from nothing. If you are in bed 24 hrs a day you have nothing but time so fit it all in your schedule.

I happened to catch this last night, I was bummed her marriage didn't last but yeah you could tell the husband was getting burnt out. The woman is terribly thin could that be part of why she's passing out. I still think the woman is blessed, she has such a cute little boy and I'm so glad the dad didn't get weird and badmouth her or prevent her from seeing the boy. I hope she gets her health back, does anyone know her?

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I happened to catch this last night, I was bummed her marriage didn't last but yeah you could tell the husband was getting burnt out. The woman is terribly thin could that be part of why she's passing out. I still think the woman is blessed, she has such a cute little boy and I'm so glad the dad didn't get weird and badmouth her or prevent her from seeing the boy. I hope she gets her health back, does anyone know her?
    I think she is painfully thin due to the C Diff related chronic diarrhea which is probably extremely persistent due to the UTI's which require antibiotics which in turn stimulate the C Diff. That said, I was shocked when her home visiting doctor said she thought her patient would never be able to sit upright again. Someone said in this thread they would like to invite her to join CC, this might be very helpful but how can this be done.?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I think she is painfully thin due to the C Diff related chronic diarrhea which is probably extremely persistent due to the UTI's which require antibiotics which in turn stimulate the C Diff. That said, I was shocked when her home visiting doctor said she thought her patient would never be able to sit upright again. Someone said in this thread they would like to invite her to join CC, this might be very helpful but how can this be done.?
    She is on myspace and facebook.

http://www.myspace.com/michellecarston

Michelle is friends with at least one member from CCC. Whether or not that friend posts, I've no idea.

When Michelle and her husband decided to have a child, they'd been married almost a year. She was a C5, working, independent, drove her own van, had a good life by anyone's standards. Her health was stable, as stable as any of us could hope.

About one month into her pregnancy, she began passing out. Michelle has been to doctor after doctor to no avail. It's not as though she has not tried to find an answer to her increased disability.

According to the show, it was thought and hoped she would return to her normal after delivery. It did not happen. She continued to pass out if she approached anything seemingly close to sitting "up" in her chair.

What I think we have to remember is that Michelle was in good shape prior to pregnancy. She has had complication after complication. No one has mentioned it here, but according to last night's shows. Michelle had a uterine infection after delivery. I've never had such an infection, but that would be one helluva blow for an ab'd body.

Before we disparage Michelle and throw stones, say she should have better planned and predicted this is how it would be, that she is selfish to have had a child, no one had any expectation she would become so debilitated by infection and AD. All was well for her C5 self until a month into her pregnancy carrying Pierce.

What has happened to Michelle is unimaginable, but it could just as easily be any of us.

Michelle and her now ex have some resources. She and her son are not living on the streets or even in an apartment. Michelle and her husband each live in comfortable homes. She has attendant care which seems to work. (Did you notice when one of the PCA's asked Michelle if she would like her son's collar buttoned or not? That attendant seems to really understand her role is that of an extension of Michelle physically. Would that all PCAs could and would be so in tune.)

Again, no one could have predicted Michelle would become so ill a month into her pregnancy.

I hope she finds an answer to what's happening physically.

Michelle needs support from us, not condemnation.
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 05-17-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarification, typos

I went and still am going to doctors for over 2 f'n years to find out what is wrong with my brain. General practitioner to infectious disease. They see me twice then give up. I have almost and wanted to give up many a times. Its hard when you have so many other factors going on.

If not for my experiences i am going thru i would have thought she was not trying either, that would have been just ignorance talking because i know now how shit happens, or dont happen.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

I watched both shows too. After the shows I googled her name and found this website she just put up. (http://michellecarston.com/) Read the newspaper article at the end of the page, it explains a little more about what's going on with her right now.
    She's also on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/michellesfans?ref=ts
    You can contact her on both of these sites. Maybe we can give her some ideas on what might help her resolve these issues she's having.

I hope she doesn't come on this site and read this thread. Some of the things said would be hurtful to read. I can imagine how overwhelmed she must feel right now with everything that's happened in the last 4 years. It's really frustrating when you have gone to several Dr.s and they have no solution for your problems(I'm assuming she's been to more than 1) and you can't figure it out yourself. Sometimes you just feel like giving up.

She was put on a blood thinner during her pregnancy, the blood thinner could have been what started her fainting problem since she didn't have the problem before she got pregnant. Here's a site that lists it as a side effect. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...l#side-effects
    I think the combination of being pregnant, constant UTI's, being on a blood thinner, stress and bedridden took a toll on her body. Now she's battling with c. diff. and more constant UTI's and frequent AD. I'm sure she stays severely dehydrated and malnourished from the c. diff. She probably needs to get IV fluids every now and then until she gets rid of the c. diff. It's hard to drink enough to stay hydrated when you are dealing with that.

I hope she finds some answers soon. She seems to have a positive outlook despite her situation so I think she will recover once she finds the right medical treatment.

Her son needs her. He is SO cute!
    Last edited by sreneet; 05-17-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Michelle is friends with at least one member from CCC. Whether or not that friend posts, I've no idea.

When Michelle and her husband decided to have a child, they'd been married almost a year. She was a C5, working, independent, drove her own van, had a good life by anyone's standards. Her health was stable, as stable as any of us could hope.

About one month into her pregnancy, she began passing out. Michelle has been to doctor after doctor to no avail. It's not as though she has not tried to find an answer to her increased disability.

According to the show, it was thought and hoped she would return to her normal after delivery. It did not happen. She continued to pass out if she approached anything seemingly close to sitting "up" in her chair.

Before we disparage Michelle and throw stones, say she should have better planned and predicted this is how it would be, that she is selfish to have had a child, no one had any expectation she would become so debilitated by infection and AD. All was well for her C5 self until a month into her pregnancy carrying Pierce.

What has happened to Michelle is unimaginable, but it could just as easily be any of us.

Again, no one could have predicted Michelle would become so ill a month into her pregnancy.

Michelle needs support from us, not condemnation.
    Yes, Mem. I thought it said she had no problems before pregnancy. That's what is sort of scary, for me at least. I am not in the planning stages of pregnancy or anything (have to find/keep a suitable man first!), but it's always been a concern for me. I don't know what it will do to my body, and in turn, way of life afterwards. A baby would be difference enough without worrying about health issues.

Anyway, if she somehow finds her way to CC, I hope she can get some support and maybe find something to help her get to the root of the problem.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski