Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low blood, needs 4 pints of blood transfused

Low blood, needs 4 pints of blood transfused

I got a phone call from my mom this morning. My dad was feeling sick and having a hard time breathing. They called the ambulance and after getting to the hospital they said his blood count was down to 6 and would need 4 pints of blood. He has had multiple blood transfusions in the last year and a half. They can not figure out where this blood is going. He has had so many tests. Is he just going to have to continue to get blood transfusions for the rest of his life every few months?

It is impossible to say without knowing why he has such bad anemia. Does he have kidney disease? Is he bleeding from his GI tract? Do you know what his CRP level is? Could he have some form of cancer?

I would strongly recommend that he see a good hematologist/oncologist and get worked up for the cause, and then determine if is he a candidate for a drug therapy such as erythropoetin (which is not without risks) or if he will need to continue to have periodic transfusions. Regardless, he needs to have his H&H checked regularly so that it does not get this bad again before something is done.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is impossible to say without knowing why he has such bad anemia. Does he have kidney disease? Is he bleeding from his GI tract? Do you know what his CRP level is? Could he have some form of cancer?

I would strongly recommend that he see a good hematologist/oncologist and get worked up for the cause, and then determine if is he a candidate for a drug therapy such as erythropoetin (which is not without risks) or if he will need to continue to have periodic transfusions. Regardless, he needs to have his H&H checked regularly so that it does not get this bad again before something is done.

(KLD)
    Thanks for your response. He has had all these tests done. No kidney disease, no GI bleeding, no cancer. Been to hematologist and oncologist. The only answer thus far has been that he has leaky arteries. He has numerous other medical problems too. High cholesterol, high bp, leaky heart valves, multiple stints, diabetic,sleep apnea, and his thyroid is extremely low also, which they said they would have to work on a little at a time. I just know this is so stressful on my mom. He has been in and out of the hospital for the last year and a half with one thing after another. Another week and I will be back home to help with what I can but I just wish he would feel better.

wow! i am so sry to hear this. i had this issue with an antibiotic called linezolid, is there any possible way one of his meds is causing this?
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    wow! i am so sry to hear this. i had this issue with an antibiotic called linezolid, is there any possible way one of his meds is causing this?
    All the meds he is on are ones he has to take. None of them so far are the culprite. He has really tiny veins and arteries. They couldnt get an IV in him and had a really tough time even getting blood from him at the hospital. As of just a couple hours ago he still didnt have an IV. He is anemic but up until the last two years it was manageable. Now when he gets tested he is so low he ends up with transfusions.

Sorry to hear this Medic. I know you will be relieved to be home with them soon.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

My heart goes out to your dad, Medic, and to you, too. Four pints is a lot of blood to just vanish like that. When my Mom was bleeding internally after her doc put her on too many blood thinners, the two pints she lost made her look six months pregnant and turned her entire backside black and blue. It's mind-boggling that your dad is missing twice that volume and there's no trace of how it was lost or where it's gone.

It must be terribly frustrating for you all that your Dad feels so poorly while the docs try to figure out what's going on and how to fix/prevent it. I've got you and him in my thoughts, and hope that he's doing better real soon. I know having you back home will go a long way toward making you, dad, and your mom feel a lot better.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

David had a bleed out too in his leg from blood thinners. He lost three pints and his whole left leg was about the size of me! It was very painful and looked awful. I hope they get this figured out for all of your sakes. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and prayers, it really means a lot. Waiting to hear how he is doing. Hopefully my mom will call in the morning. He started filling with fluid and his thyroid is pretty much not functioning now.

Sorry to hear that, medic1. Will keep him in my prayers.
    Daniel