Thread: Why not teflon (ptfe)???

Why not teflon (ptfe)???

After having the Emergency Surgery I was told by my Neurosurgeon I had to have or face Permanent Paralysis from the waist down... I found I had gone to a Neurosurgeon that the Army Base had referred me to was up to his ears in Lawsuits. I ended up with Fusion and Cages L3-S1 and 6 weeks later started feeling the old Pins and Needles then the gradual loss of feeling on both feet and legs. According to my New Neurosurgeon the problem is Scar Tissue growing into my nerves and as it continues to grow I will eventually lose the use of my legs because I can't feel my feet and therefore no balance. Instead of a year later it has been 10 years now and I am where I thought I would have been 9 years ago.

I asked a Neurosurgeon WHY cannot we go in scrape the Scar Tissue back and he said because like a shrub it wold grow back thicker and worse than it is now. OKAY, THEY WHY can't we go in scrape/cut it out then install a sleeve of Teflon (PTFE) around the spine? As some of us know Teflon will not allow electricity to pass through it, it won't let things grow on it or through it, and it is not a substance rejected by the body.

[In fact when my wife had a shunt put in her arm for Dialysis they used the Scientific wording for PTFE and I said gee Doc why can't you just break it down and say Teflon? He said I guess I never though of it like that when explaining it to a patient.]

I was told that there was no way I could get a surgeon to do such an operation. It has never been done before. my question is "WHY NOT?"
    I am willing to travel anywhere in the USA as long as Medicare or TRICARE for LIFE will pay for the Surgery or a GRANT is given so I don't have to pay for it...so that this can be tried. I don't think the risks are that great compared to the outcome. I mean I'm already losing the actual ability to stand or walk for any real time. 20 minutes and I'm nearly screaming back pain and my feet and legs are absolutely clueless. Blue, feet and toes even cold and the Doppler tests show ans well as touching them I have Plenty of Blood flow. Cat Scan shows nothing wrong so I am (GUESSING) it has to do with my nerves and back issues. WHY won't a surgeon try this invasive surgery IF I am willing to take the knife again? Please, Please, someone explain this to me?

I'm almost already out of walking options and a wheelchair I just haven't fallen into yet, I'm a little scared/afraid and frightened...my lifting ability is only 16 pounds and I can't afford a Ti or whatever wheelchair on my own. I don't know what I will do but the time is now to be looking and asking.
    Kansas

Interesting question. Afraid I'm not help though.

Why is your lifting ability impacted?
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

While PTFE is usable for something like a temporary shunt it is not safe to have it embedded in the body as a permanent solution because it contains BPA, the endocrine disrupting chemical thought to cause hormonal changes and possible cancers.

Good point Eileen. That's why I don't use nonstick cookware. Cast iron or stainless for me!
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy View Post
    Good point Eileen. That's why I don't use nonstick cookware. Cast iron or stainless for me!
    Me too. I threw out my non-stick cookware along with my aluminum bottles (they require a questionable liner). I replaced the cookware with stainless steel and the bottles with stainless steel too. Food grade stainless steel or glass are the two safest options.

lindsey, I am sorry that I did not post earlier. I tried but the post did not get through.

The short answer is that teflon is not non-stick enough. We have tried teflon type compounds and tissues will adhere to teflon surfaces after a while. We have yet to find anything that is really non-stick, i.e. that cells will not stick to over the long run.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Me too. I threw out my non-stick cookware along with my aluminum bottles (they require a questionable liner). I replaced the cookware with stainless steel and the bottles with stainless steel too. Food grade stainless steel or glass are the two safest options.
    Eileen -- we are two peas in a pod!
    -- Lucy VanPelt