Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Bit Torrent and the Hurt Locker

  1. #1

    Bit Torrent and the Hurt Locker

    In the paper today it mentioned that the US copyright office was to file a lawsuite against Bit Torrent users who downloaded the Hurt Locker. What are your thoughts on this type of lawsuit?The movie made 16 million in the US and they studio was sued because they used a SRG identity for the film and did not ask permission. I think they just are looking for money to get out of people because the movie flopped and lost money even though it was up for awards. It was downloaded more than people went to rent it. To me this lawsuit is a way to make people settle by threatening them to fork over thousands of dollars so they dont get sued.

    source:

    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f090323c40270a

  2. #2
    Senior Member Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,785
    I think it's fine for people to protect their property. This needs to happen more so that people are deterred from ripping off media. BTW, Hurt Locker was a great theater movie. Need to see it on the big screen to really appreciate it.

  3. #3
    I am not an advocate of downloading the files but do think that going after a ton of people who downloaded the movie is a bit much. I think they should go after the software company allowing them to do it. I dont think you can download anything without the internet software or the sites that host the tools.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    I think they should go after the software company allowing them to do it.
    BitTorrent has legitimate uses, so they can't go after them.

    Users downloading pirated material via BitTorrent should know the risks they face and either get out of the game or find methods that are less risky.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    BitTorrent has legitimate uses, so they can't go after them.

    Users downloading pirated material via BitTorrent should know the risks they face and either get out of the game or find methods that are less risky.

    You are correct. I guess what I am getting it is the websites like Piratebay and others that enable Bit Torrent to be used.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    I am not an advocate of downloading the files but do think that going after a ton of people who downloaded the movie is a bit much. I think they should go after the software company allowing them to do it. I dont think you can download anything without the internet software or the sites that host the tools.
    Righfully they are going after both fronts.






    In a 4-year-old case brought by The Recording Industry Association of America, U.S. District Judge Kimba M. Wood ruled that LimeWire’s users commit a “substantial amount of copyright infringement” (.pdf) and that the Lime Group, the company behind the application, “has not taken meaningful steps to mitigate infringement.”









    Grokster Ltd. was a privately owned software company based in Nevis, West Indies that created the Grokster P2P file-sharing client in 2001 that utilized the FastTrack protocol. Grokster Ltd. was rendered extinct in late 2005 by the United States Supreme Court's decision in MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd. The court ruled against Grokster's peer-to-peer file sharing program for computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system, effectively forcing the company to cease operations. The product was similar in look and feel to Kazaa which is marketed by Sharman Networks.
    source
    Last edited by Mateo; 05-13-2010 at 04:50 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    You are correct. I guess what I am getting it is the websites like Piratebay and others that enable Bit Torrent to be used.
    They have. They shut down MiniNova and chased Demonoid through various jurisdictions. Piratebay won a suit on appeal, though it may not be finished.

    Right now, they're attempting to get ACTA implemented around the world, which would force ISPs to spy on their customers and report them if they violate copyrights. (That's like requiring phone companies to process their customer's conversations and report them if they work out a deal to buy drugs.)

    I hope it fails and am disappointed that Obama supports ACTA. It's ridiculous and shouldn't stand up to scrutiny.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

  8. #8
    Spend a buck and rent it at redbox.


  9. #9
    I dont agree with violating consumer rights to privacy. The thing about the lawsuit from what I have read is that they file a subpeona to John Doe and then have the ISPs if they want to cooperate send them the IP address and personal information of the consumer. I think this violates privacy and also the ISPs are charging them .60 an IP address so they are making a ton of money off people. The majority of the dowloaders or so called pirates I would guess are college age kids and younger. I think what would happen is that some will pay up front to avoid being sued but the cost fot litigation would be an outrageous sum. Just my .02 but dont think this is the best way to go about stopping piracy.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    The majority of the dowloaders or so called pirates I would guess are college age kids and younger. I think what would happen is that some will pay up front to avoid being sued but the cost fot litigation would be an outrageous sum.
    exactly.....

    "One initial target was Brianna Lahara, a 12-year-old girl living with her single mother in a New York City public housing project. She paid $2,000 to settle the case"

    (source)---http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/08/happy-anniversa/

    that's just ridiculous, imo. i can see a big difference in downloading and selling but a teen just downloading their favorite songs just to listen to.

Similar Threads

  1. Best torrent searchers?
    By barondidit in forum Computers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •