Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Melanie Reid of The Times (UK)

Thank you for posting these, Fly Pelican Fly.

I didn't like this bit very much though -
    One, I can now, by virtue of sheer bloody-mindedness, stretch my fingers to do control-alt-delete and open Windows
    I hope it doesn't reinforce anyone's belief of "you can move if you want it enough" etc.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    Thank you for posting these, Fly Pelican Fly.
    x2

I didn't like this bit very much though -I hope it doesn't reinforce anyone's belief of "you can move if you want it enough" etc.

I see your point keps but reading it in context I think most people would take it as sarcasm or an attempt at gallows humor.

Thanks so much Pelican. She writes beautifully, but this isn't easy reading.

keps, she does mention complete/ incomplete and how every injury differs. I know what you mean though, the lasting impression most people have is that recovery is directly tied to effort. Hopefully she'll keep the differences clear.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Again, thank you for posting these. Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post

x2

I see your point keps but reading it in context I think most people would take it as sarcasm or an attempt at gallows humor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Thanks so much Pelican. She writes beautifully, but this isn't easy reading.

keps, she does mention complete/ incomplete and how every injury differs. I know what you mean though, the lasting impression most people have is that recovery is directly tied to effort. Hopefully she'll keep the differences clear.
    I know what you both mean. I just don't like the thought of even one person reading it and thinking strength of mind can overcome paralysis.

strenght of mind and religion, IMO.
    i agree with you, keps

lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Remember, she is writing blind to all the information we have accumulated from forums such as these and experienced folk such as yourselves. All the information she has is probably gained until now is through the opinions from within the National Health Service from nurses, consultants and physiotherapists.

The most important thing for her right now is to keep her mind strong and maximise her recovery and good luck to her. Lets hope she keeps up the positivity, hard work and of course her writing.

In terms of the mind - well, I wouldnt totally poo poo the idea that the mind has a huge part to play our physical condition. Wellness of mind tends to create a better environment for our physical condition (ps Im not saying it will cure us ;-). The power of the human mind is an unknown quantity and potentially an untapped source of all sorts of great stuff.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting. Great to see someone getting our experience out to the public!

Holy crap this is hard to read. I wonder what the avg. ab feels when they read it? Ho hum, this is a shame, glad it could never happen to me since I don't ride horses?

It's sure different when you've lived it. She and i have v/ similar injuries/recovery, so far.

I just started to read this thread today. Thanks so much for posting it. Even though I was the AB along with my spouse, the article about the outing to bowl and being exposed to life outside of rehab made me cry a little.