Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Oldest PARAPLEGIC or QUAD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Have a GREAT day tomorrow, congrats to you and your loved ones
    Thank you so much, Jim!!

Congrats 47+, have a nice day.

LOL, I feel like a newbie after reading this thread
    TH 12, 43 years post

My dad

My father is 90 1/2 and has been a paraplegic since he was 34.

Some impressive stats here.

I hope I can achieve similar. Congrats to all the more experienced posters. Good health to you.

47 yrs a para!

Hi ive been a para for 47years

I'm a c-6 complete,been injured for 27 years(20 when I was injued) and in great shape.I have had a few...AB friends diie before 50.I have amazing genes in mt family.no cancer,heart problems..NOBODY dies before 85.I have thought about this ALOT in the past few...years and it scares the HELL out of me.I feel like I should be greatful because I could have ended up a much higher quad.I know ALOT of people here would KILL to be able to do what I can.So I guess ir's not about the quantity of your life, but the quality of your life
    C-6,complete

I attended a talk by the head doc at the local rehab hospital recently and he said the higher the injury the more reduction in life span. This held until you reached C3, and then life span went up. For high level quads respiratory problems seemed to be an issue. It seems if you are on a ventilator you do better than a high level quad without a ventilator.

None of us know our ends, and as you get older this idea will have more meaning to you. One day at a time, with as much joy as you can bring to that day, has always been good advice.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by 47+years View Post
    I will be 69 in Aug. Injured 1964 at the age of 20. So 48+ years as a C5/C6 quad. I still transfer and use a manual chair. I had 3 children after the car accident that paralyzed me.
    Tomorrow our children are having a party to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. My health is excellent.
    This gives me so much hope! I was scared that I'd have to switch to a power chair sometime within the next 5yrs ... I hope not! 27th yr here and shoulders still good, transfers still good ... but unable to pick myself up off the floor anymore (yet). Bladder and bowel both downgraded as well.

Congrats on the longevity and your anniversary - we won't see 50th anniversaries 20yrs from now! lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Smile

wow thank all for posting c6c7

2001 i joined the club. i am worring over getting out of bed is getting harder and harder and putting shoes on so stiff .

thank for all but i am turning in to a recluse i avoid going out as much as possable.i live alone. care 6hrs a week.

life is doable

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    wow thank all for posting c6c7

2001 i joined the club. i am worring over getting out of bed is getting harder and harder and putting shoes on so stiff .

thank for all but i am turning in to a recluse i avoid going out as much as possable.i live alone. care 6hrs a week.

life is doable
    Buddy, you need to get out more. Try to fine something interesting to do.