Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Oldest PARAPLEGIC or QUAD?

I'm 49 now, old timer.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I'm Bobby's big brother, Stevie. I'm 51 and was injured at 23 (T4), so I knows just a little bit more about things. He calls me Mr. Sir, as it should be. And I've taught him well. Makes my heart swell with pride, that boy. He's a fine young man that Bobby Freel. He'll do just fine.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    I would bet that the information sharing on sites like this could easily add 5 years to the average life expectancy of SCIs, if heeded. At the least, it should close the gap between the life expectancies of SCIs and AB folks.

From my research, SCIs can expect to live roughly 10-15% fewer years than the AB folks. And if AB folks live to roughly 75 years old, that translates to 7-10 fewer years. These are simply rough stats though. Everyone is on their own journey and hopefully will live long and prosperous lives SCI or not.

Good luck all!
    that's a bunch of bull. A lot of the people posting here are older than a bunch of people I know that have died this year, half of which died from disease/health and many seemed to be in good health. The guy that remodelled my house died the first week of december, he was only 50. I think there a lot of SCI that do what it takes to live life as normal as they can and are in much better health than many AB as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    that's a bunch of bull. A lot of the people posting here are older than a bunch of people I know that have died this year, half of which died from disease/health and many seemed to be in good health. The guy that remodelled my house died the first week of december, he was only 50. I think there a lot of SCI that do what it takes to live life as normal as they can and are in much better health than many AB as a result.
    Most SCIs that I know take very good care of themselves too.

I wouldn't go betting any money though on SCIs having the same life expectancy or a higher one than the general population. I can honestly say that I've never heard that claim before. I can tell you that the life insurance companies won't take that bet (at least not for life insurance but maybe for annuities).

Now if what you're saying is that some of the healthiest, sharpest and wisest SCI old timers can defy the odds so to speak (by living longer than their life expectancy) then I would certainly agree with you there.

The SCI old timers (however you want to define them; for me it's 30+ years post SCI) are a tremendous asset to all of us.

Making me feel old here 51 T12 incomplete, injured at 43.

broke my neck ,c-4,in 1983.I was 19 years old......get to be an "old timer sci" in 2years.

Having a loving supportive family/husband is the key for me.

Red face Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm going on 62, 36 years post injury. My mentor was 84 when he passed with 55 years post injury.
    Patrick, how much of your care can you do? Can you transfer all right, how about driving? I am a quad and do worry that I will not have energy to push myself around on my manual wheelchair.

I don't mean to be nosy though.

Thanks!

Doing okay. Shoulders are a challenge. Am 100% independent still. Transfers are gertting iffy due to rips and tears. I still work out at the gym, ride an fes bike 2x's a week, workout at home and continue to ride my handcycle.

I do have issues and do gert concerned about them but always come back to the addage of "Maximizing my Potential with what I have left". I too think about not being able to use the manual but will continue to work thru stuff to the very end.

I think the older SCI's all agree that it is mostly keeping a positive attitude, don't vegetate waiting for a cure and getting in the best shape we can if there is a cure. If there is'nt one, then we need to be in shape to drag our sorry asses thru life lol.

Thanks for asking.

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Doing okay. Shoulders are a challenge. Am 100% independent still. Transfers are gertting iffy due to rips and tears. I still work out at the gym, ride an fes bike 2x's a week, workout at home and continue to ride my handcycle.

I do have issues and do gert concerned about them but always come back to the addage of "Maximizing my Potential with what I have left". I too think about not being able to use the manual but will continue to work thru stuff to the very end.

I think the older SCI's all agree that it is mostly keeping a positive attitude, don't vegetate waiting for a cure and getting in the best shape we can if there is a cure. If there is'nt one, then we need to be in shape to drag our sorry asses thru life lol.

Thanks for asking.
    I've learned a lot from your response and will try to implement some of what you do into my own life. Thanks you for the education!

This is probably cheating re longevity in chair but my wife and I are both chair users, wife is post polio chair user for 62 years and I am sci chair user for 40 years. There you go a total of 102 years of chair use for this family.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    This is probably cheating re longevity in chair but my wife and I are both chair users, wife is post polio chair user for 62 years and I am sci chair user for 40 years. There you go a total of 102 years of chair use for this family.
    Impressive!!!!! Ya'll have lots to share for sure. You have seen the world of life in a chair evolve dramatically!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!