Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Oldest PARAPLEGIC or QUAD?

Dang, I'm just a baby. I'm 48, was injured at 24 - T5 complete.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I'm 28 years old, 25 years post injury as a C2/3 vent dependent quad. I hadn't heard of someone on a vent much longer than me until the post earlier in this thread.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I have a friend who is C2/3, injured at age 17 and is now 59.

Don is 65. Will be 66 in October. T11 complete and 5 years post injury. He's doing great!

I am 58, c 3/4 inc, live alone (with my dogs) except 3-4 hours AM and 1.5 hours PM. Divorced 17 years, since injury. Own a home with a guest room at the other end of the house. I figure, worse case scenario, I will have a live-in. I will NOT have my children be my caregivers. They had to deal with too much as children, ages 4 and 5 at injury. I will NOT go to a nursing home. I am fortunate that, at the moment, I am able to make these choices. However, many a plan has been made... Maybe I'll just end up walking in the not too distant future, and that opens a whole new set of choices. : ]
    Karen M
    C 3/4 inc. central cord
    10/29/1992 - 18 years, but who counts?

Listen to the incredible positive attitudes here. I LOVE IT!!!!!! If ATTITUDE isn't everything it is dang sure close to it!!!!!! Keep 'em coming ya'll. Man can you imagine the stories we could tell. It would make a phenomenal book!!!! One Day At A Time! That is how we do it, right????
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Banned

Smile

I was injured when I was 24 years old and I am now 52. I have often wondered the same question about our (SCI) life span. Doctors tell you one thing but when I was first injured they told me I would not even live when I was going into surgery. I was shot three times and one entered my back at T-5/6. I feel more aches and pains than I did when I was a young paraplegic but I am still kicking, sorta of speak!!

Yesterday made me hit 41yrs as a quad.

This documentation was posted on Answer Bag in June of 2010:
    "My father, Frank Chesnick, is 80 years old and has a spinal cord injury that is 60 years old. My father was in a car accident while in the military and was hurt when he was just 21. He eventually regained enough movement to walk with a cane, but over the years reverted to 2 canes, then 2 Canadian crutches, then a walker, then wheelchair, and now for the past 6 years he's been in an electric wheelchair. Frank was originally from Dearborn, MI, and now resides in Canton, MI. BTW: When he was originally hurt the doctors only gave him 10 years to live and told he and my mother (who was an RN on the spinal injury ward at the VA hospital) that they would never have any children. So much for medicine! Still, there is essentially no medical data on quads who have been injured for a significant period of time."

All the best,
    GJ

I would bet that the information sharing on sites like this could easily add 5 years to the average life expectancy of SCIs, if heeded. At the least, it should close the gap between the life expectancies of SCIs and AB folks.

From my research, SCIs can expect to live roughly 10-15% fewer years than the AB folks. And if AB folks live to roughly 75 years old, that translates to 7-10 fewer years. These are simply rough stats though. Everyone is on their own journey and hopefully will live long and prosperous lives SCI or not.

Good luck all!