Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Oldest PARAPLEGIC or QUAD?

Blog Entries
    I am 63; C5 since age 18. Still working and enjoying life.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

i am your neighbor lol i was 50 very active outdoors c6c7 i live indepently except
    2 hrs a night yes i am scared of old age i transfer and pretty much handle things
    but i am scared of finances the cost of getting old with sci. my son will not be there i am pretty sure my sister maybe but i still would have to hire help. i am scared but no i don/t lay awake thinking of it but......now i will be 60 this winter

I am 63 and was injured, C5-C6 Quad, July 20, 1967...43 years ago. Married for 39 years!!!
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Blog Entries
    Seems like I can recall some major university keeping a lot of statistics on SCIs (Alabama?).

http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.a...7&return=19775
    Last edited by TomRL; 05-13-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Found it!
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

I'm 71 and still 100% independent. Injured at age 35. Married 32 years. Worked full time for 25 years.
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    This is scaring the shit out of me. I was injured at 49 also. What kept me sane at the beginning was the realization that at least I won't live that long. Unfortunately this means a return to the nursing home for many of us, eventually. There is absolutely nothing worse than a nursing home, I've been in two.

Better stash enough of my pain pills to take care of business.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 05-13-2010 at 07:56 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Very interesting comments ya'll keep them coming. Share some of the not so obvious challenges that you more experienced SCIers have been faced with as a component of age. Also "vjls" stated growing old with SCI brings financial concerns. What are some of the more creative ways out there to help with the financial burden beyond medicare, medicaid, private insurance, and Social Security. Are there funds available to help with expenses for SCI people?

These are just some of the thoughts when growing older with SCI.

Also I think it must be easier with a life partner of some kind. Be it a spouse, sibling, friend, or angel.

Ya'll please keep the conversation going. Talk about this subject. Share your thoughts.

Grange
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Old SCI

72 years old, will be 73 in August.

Injured nine years ago, crashed motorcycle. T-6 para.

Have active social life, mostly due to my wife/caregiver. Married nearly 50 years.

Still drive my van, volunteer at VA hospital. Wood carving is my hobby.

Body is beginning to feel my age, but that is expected and natural. From T-6 up, I'm in perfect health. just the normal aches in the morning.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Bill is going to be 63 in July. Injured May of '98 - so 12 years ago. If it weren't for his skin issues, having an ileostomy and wearing a leg bag 24/7 he is in otherwise good health ! We've been married 32 years holy toledo .

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I'm 61 and have been injured for 44 years come this July. I am in remarkably good health with the exception of shoulders that have turned to sawdust from overuse. That necessitated the switch from a manual chair to a power chair about ten years ago. I worked for over 30 years in a field I enjoyed and found meaning in as well. Aside from my shoulders and general pain from poor sitting posture for decades I would say I am doing very well.