Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quads that drive

Quads that drive

how many quads out there drive and what is your functional (physical) level?
    I'm a c5 level, and i thought there wasn't any hope for me to terrorize the roads again, but I found some really interesting controls on the web. It looks like all of the driving can be done through joysticks and buttons. I still have to worry about my upper body muscle contractions (chest and arms), but my spirits are lifted just knowing there is a posibility.
    I already own a modified dodge g caravan, but right now I just ride along in the passenger area.

thanks in advance!

Hiyas! I'm a C5-6 quad and drive a mini-van from my wheelchair. I have nil trunk control and ok wrist movement. My biceps and shoulders are pretty strong though. Anywho, I drive using hand controls, zero effort steering, a chest strap, and side supports. The latter 2 were crucial in me mastering how to drive. Good luck!

Hi I am a C6/7 incompelte I am functioning at about a T 3 level and am almost classfied as a para and not a quad and I drive using hand controls I transfer from my manual chair to the seat and take off. I taught myself how to drive with the hand controls as I live in a small town withh not much traffic. I passed my driving test the first time and now drive myself to and from work as well as therapy which is a 70 mile round trip. I have good arms and hands as well as biceps and shoulders. I first drove five months after my injury and have been going strong ever sense good luck

Theophania what kind of hand controls do you use? Are they electronic?

Slomoscott-are the driving controls your looking at the EMC controls? I have been looking at these controls for about a year now and probably after this semester I will travel to Seattle to test them out. I have a VMI caravan already and the estimated cost I've gotten for these controls is $33,000

I'm a C-5/6 quad

I'm also c5/6 and i don't need electronic controls. I got them done at the rehab engineering place near the rehab hospital i was at (winnipeg). They get you in there and customize everything so it works for you. Cost around $1000 CND.

My hand controls are not electronic; at least I don't think so. My gas/brake control is powered by an "air system." There's an electric motor behind the back seat in my mini-van than puts air in the tubing connected to my controls. So the air in the tubing is what causes the hand controls to work. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I also have what's called a tri-pin, which is this thingy on my steering wheel that allows my paralyzed hand to hold the wheel. I also have this elbow touch-pad (electronic), that's installed on the inside of the driver's door (to my left), that I hit with my elbow while I'm driving to control the blinkers, lights, cruise, wipers, and wash. I drive a super ugly '93 Plymouth Voyager that has wood paneling!

At least is has a Vantage ramp system.

Just a funny....I was driving a coupla nites ago with my BF squeezed into my baby truck when he said 'Let me steer' So, I'm working the brake, gas, clutch, sitting on one hand so I wouldnt grab the wheel LOL. He starts out kinda wobbly, steering from the passenger seat, then I hear him mutter to himself "It's just a video game" and it was a breeze after that. (OK, I did grab the wheel once, going around a curve, parked cars on one side and oncoming traffic in the other lane....how would I ever have explained that one to the insurance company?)

MT_cowboyquad
    yes, it was the EMC controls that got me jazzed up about driving again. Like you I saw the VERY high price, that's wjhy I started this thread. I was hoping to get some cheaper solutions for someone w/o wrist (c6) control. I should be able to get DVR to pay for some of my bill because I'm working 30 hrs/week.

If you are a c5/6, why do you think you need the joystick drive?

Theophania
    What is zero effort steering?
    how does it work?

Thanks to everyone else, keep posting!

SlomoScott,

Zero effort steering is when they make the wheel very easy to steer. Like so easy, if the windblows on it, it could turn the wheel itself. It makes it very easy for C5-6 quads to steer who have weaker arms due to our paralyzed triceps. I live in Minnesota and we had to ship out the steering wheel to a company in NYC to get this done. Its VERY worth it though Makes steering a breeze...

Originally posted by SlomoScott:

If you are a c5/6, why do you think you need the joystick drive?
    Who is this addressed to? Me?