Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Oldest PARAPLEGIC or QUAD?

I had an appointment with my primary doc yesterday, who referred to me as a "real survivor." I was both flattered and a little bit freaked out at how that is code for getting old. (44 years post, currently 62).

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Impressive!!!!! Ya'll have lots to share for sure. You have seen the world of life in a chair evolve dramatically!!!
    When my wife was a child she avoided home schooling by meeting the school bus, getting out of chair on braces, "walking" to a seat and meeting the teacher with another wheelchair at her "handicapped school."

Oldest Paraplegic

Hi
    My father had an accident which left him a Para in 1958, he will be 87 this October 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by garlisle View Post
    Hi
    My father had an accident which left him a Para in 1958, he will be 87 this October 2011.
    Gulp! That's quite a run! Hope most of those years have, and continue to be, healthy ones.

Today is my 37 year anniversary of my accident. I broke my neck in a pool accident when I was 20 years old resulted me being a C7 incomplete. I am still doing very well. Shoulders are fine, still pushing a manual chair, working out, driving and totally independent. I would say the key to surviving SCI is to stay active but don't overdue it!

Quote Originally Posted by GinoL View Post
    Today is my 37 year anniversary of my accident. I broke my neck in a pool accident when I was 20 years old resulted me being a C7 incomplete. I am still doing very well. Shoulders are fine, still pushing a manual chair, working out, driving and totally independent. I would say the key to surviving SCI is to stay active but don't overdue it!
    Happy anniversary Gino!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

My Father

My father, a paraplegic, died in 2008 at the age of 92yrs-old. In 1947, stationed in Japan, he contracted polio while serving in the Army. My sister and I were born 5-6 years later, after several years of rehabilitation. If I have the math right, my dad lived in/with a wheelchair for 61 years of his life. He was a strong, active man who loved outdoor gardening (I can't tell you how many times I had to pick up an overturned wheelchair in the garden!), gourmet cooking and sharing good meals with family and friends.
    I don't know much about statistics regarding paraplegic survivors, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's near the top in terms of longevity. He was a great man, admired by many. If anyone knows of other senior survivors, please let me know. Thanks.

John Ryan
    Last edited by jryan; 06-15-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: poor grammar

I will be 69 in Aug. Injured 1964 at the age of 20. So 48+ years as a C5/C6 quad. I still transfer and use a manual chair. I had 3 children after the car accident that paralyzed me.
    Tomorrow our children are having a party to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. My health is excellent.

Have a GREAT day tomorrow, congrats to you and your loved ones

thank you to the older people that posted it makes us younger ones have hope,I'm 49 turning 50 in September born whit spina bifida lived an active life style,rode a bike,rode a motorcycle drive,worked since i was 18 yrs old till last year got injured at work have not worked or moved around like before my back gives out to fast ,can sit on my wheelchair for a long time like before not nearly as active as before so hearing all the older ones makes me thing that hopefully i can have my old life style back again thank you