Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Oldest PARAPLEGIC or QUAD?

I am 61 was injured at 52. Motorcycle accident.

T10, 1970 motorcycle,age 66. Conserving shoulders is very important, after a shoulder injury some years back I use transfer board a lot and have cut out all big transfers. Worked fiull time 30 years, now retired. Married 37 years to chair user post polio (60 years in chair). I have no aches or pains (crosses fingers) and general health good.

In the beginning of 2003 I was 52 and AB, I was lucky and felt and looked like I was in my forties, then by mid October things started to go wrong........ I fell a lot, my hands would'nt work right, my feet would swell and burn at night......we had just moved and had no health insurance as yet. I still don't know what old accident broke my neck, it was'nt until mid July 2006 that I was blessed with a doctor from my clinic that called in a few personal favors and got me some help. By this time I was using a crutch and not far away from a wheel chair.

It's amazing what chronic 24/7 pain does to a person. I'm sixty now. I've had surgery done on C 4-5-6, my left kidney removed, and sugery done on L 4-5 S-1 and now feel and look older than my age. My posture is shot and sometimes I feel I am too. It's the pain that gets me down. Everything else is bad enough.....paralysis, B&B issues, other health issues.....neuropathy.....seven years ago I'd never heard of it. And I wish to God I never had.......

I don't think I'd worry too much about how much or long my life is going to be, I think it's better to hope and pray for a good quality of life while I'm here. We, none of us, know how long we'll be here, we just need to enjoy it the best we can. Especially the people you care about and care about you.....spend some quality time together. This could be said of quad, para, or AB.....it's amazing how much life an AB will waste! That's real easy to see as a quad! lol

I have to admit, I don't usually pray for a long life with this chronic neuropathy, it just gets real hard to deal with sometimes. Best to take it one day at a time.................

45 years of age. Injured at 25. T-6 complete....Just a babe in the woods. I am starting to feel it up top. Had my first cortisone shot in the shoulder last week. Starting to think more about upper body conservation.

25yrs from July 29, 1985 and I am 38 since October 2010 .. this question comes up every once in a while at CareCure .. it's sad to see the same people (myself included!) tick off another year as they go by. Especially sad for me to see the young children still becoming paralyzed.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Dang, I'm just a baby. I'm 48, was injured at 24 - T5 complete.
    I'm Bobby's big brother, Stevie. I'm 51 and was injured at 23 (T4), so I knows just a little bit more about things. He calls me Mr. Sir, as it should be. And I've taught him well. Makes my heart swell with pride, that boy. He's a fine young man that Bobby Freel. He'll do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    In the beginning of 2003 I was 52 and AB, I was lucky and felt and looked like I was in my forties, then by mid October things started to go wrong.......
    your situation is Simalar to mine, i have the and was a in great shape, was ver active at 45 years old, in the last 9 years i have become depressed, anxious ,. worse pain and stronger meds,worse bowels, etc. luckily my insurance has been very good to me,,,,so far, i know i am decision away from my over 4000 a month pain meds, and stuff that will put me in 4 ever sleep.
    but what you are seeing, i am concerned with,everyday it gets worse, mentally
    cauda equina

48 years old, injured t7 when 19, so 30 years para, and quite healthy~~ much healthier than many of my non~disabled friends. All the cliches are true: eat right, work out reasonably, and most of all, set no limits or boundaries concerning what many might call overdoing it~~ drink if you like alcohol, in moderation, and sometimes even forget that rule, have fun, that's the main thing, always have fun. If you're not having fun, what's the point anyway? And spend most of your time doing what you love most, that's the biggie. (If you get paid for it, well that's just extra fun!)
    Last edited by Daraby; 02-09-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    72 years old, will be 73 in August.

Injured nine years ago, crashed motorcycle. T-6 para.

Have active social life, mostly due to my wife/caregiver. Married nearly 50 years.

Still drive my van, volunteer at VA hospital. Wood carving is my hobby.

Body is beginning to feel my age, but that is expected and natural. From T-6 up, I'm in perfect health. just the normal aches in the morning.
    Have passed 73rd birthday and looking forward to 74 in August. Wife and I had a blow out party for our 50th wedding anniversary last December.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by Daraby View Post
    48 years old, injured t7 when 19, so 30 years para, and quite healthy~~ much healthier than many of my non~disabled friends. All the cliches are true: eat right, work out reasonably, and most of all, set no limits or boundaries concerning what many might call overdoing it~~ drink if you like alcohol, in moderation, and sometimes even forget that rule, have fun, that's the main thing, always have fun. If you're not having fun, what's the point anyway? And spend most of your time doing what you love most, that's the biggie. (If you get paid for it, well that's just extra fun!)
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg