Thread: quads who drive cars

quads who drive cars

Im a C5/C6 quad n I want to start driving again, but unfortunately there are only a couple of cars i could use for learning in my country and they are not quad friendly
    there are a few problems i have to solve before i can start my lessons

1) steering controls - i tried the knob but dont have enough strength in my wrist to turn e wheel all the way round. Is the tri pin the best choice?

2) hand controls - the only type they have is push down accelerate, push forward break. I have only upward wrist movement so i cant operate it very well with the knob handle that they have. Again is the tri pin handle a good choice?

3) auto transmission lever - the car for learning is a old Nissan sunny and has a button on the lever which i cant press to change gears Attachment 35408 what do you guys use to solve this problem?

4) hand break - how do quads use it

is there a good website i can purchase these equipment from cheap? I'll be paying for them out of my own pocket. I was so bummed out when i went to try the car, i really want to drive again. Please help

Hi,
    I think either the tri-pin or the knob that looks like a tuning fork that you insert your hand into is the safest bet. If you go to www.sportaid.com and search for steering controls you will see pictures of what is available. My shift is the stick next to the steering wheel, which is fairly easy to bring towards me a bit and then shift. I don't think I could manage a button terribly well either, but maybe you could prove to the powers that be with a regular steering wheel mounted shift you would be fine?
    I have a hand control on my parking break. It requires the strength of Atlas to use it, so I never do, and fortunately do not need to really. It is more for passing inspection than anything else.

i had a shifter w/ a button on the side once and the dealer witched it out with one that had a button on the top so all i had to do was press down w/ my palm and shift. piece of cake.

Aaronykc,

I'm a C5 quad and drive a Mini Cooper. I think the tri-pin on the steering wheel is the safest for a quad. As far as the button on the shifter is concerned, take the car to a mechanic and tell them you want to shift without pushing the button. The button on the shifter pushes a plastic shaft down a steel tube to unlock the shifter. If they drill a hole through the metal and plastic shafts when the button is pushed down and put a pin or bolt in the hole the shifter will always be released. You will still have to push the brake in order to shift. On my car I put on a custom shift knob that screwed on and held down the button. Check out this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOKYA...-/150441543829

I'm sure you can find these in Singapore.

You should be able to drive with your hand controls. It just takes a little practice. I don't use a tri-pin on my hand controls and have no problem. Put your thumb underneath the handle and your fingers over the handle. Push down with your arm from the shoulder. I hope this helps.

Sean
    "I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man"

The Dude

Thanks a million for your replies, you guys are awesome

Eileen, wheelz and Sean, the problem is there is only one association in Singapore where the disabled can learn driving and they only have one car so i cant make any modifications to it but luckily i found this attachment http://www.mobilityproductsdesign.co...Gear_Shift.jpg i guess i will have to buy it to use the car for learning.

For the steering control i guess i will get the tri pin to be safe.

As for hand controls, all of you can use the regular one without the tri-pins like Sean?

once again thanks for takin the time to reply

Hi aaronykc,
    Yes, I use regular Mobility Products Design hand controls, with a push down towards the lap for gas and towards the floor for brakes. You can get your choice of a large plastic knob to center in your palm or a foam covered lever. I went with the knob because I thought the foam would decay and start to fall apart too quickly.

Thanks alot Eileen, looks like i will need to practice more on the hand controls. You guys have been a great help

tri-pin's the only safe way to go for us quads
    learning how to shift your car is paramount to you becoming comfortable enough to drive
    just like adjusting the mirrors and setting the heat/ac
    driving isn't just steering and stopping

My Jeep has a shifter like that. I've figured out a way to depress the button with the side of my hand & shift efficiently. I don't really give it much thought. Don't give up on it, but modify it if need be.

As for tri-pin steering wheel adapters, the only thing they're good for is securing your wrist, which is obviously important. I drove with one for the first several years post-SCI. Eventually I quit using it. The major disadvantage is that your hand is stuck at one position on the wheel. I've found that my stability is actually better by having the freedom to reposition my hand(s) during turns.

Food for thought. Be safe though.

I am a C-7 quad with no finger function and I had several cars that had a console shifter with a button release. I devised a simple button masher made from a couple pieces of 3/32" x 5/8" aluminum that can be found at Lowes and similar stores. The two pieces are fastened together by a screw. Once you have the right measurements for the shifter, it is easy to make. I pasted a photo of a paper mock up of the device below. It is sitting upside down on my desk in the photo. To use it, it is turned over and placed on top of the shifter. The one side is bent at an angle so that when you mash down on the device, it forces in the button. When someone else is driving, the device is simple lifted off.

The angle of the part that presses against the button in the mockup is more extreme that in my real one. A piece of the type of aluminum strip I used is beside the mockup.

Attachment 35426
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/