Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Ryder

Freedom Ryder

Hey guys. Im a c6/c7 quad. I bought a freedom ryder handcycle that is lean to steer. Will I be able to ride it? i have OK balance but not alot. Has and quads tried this type of handcycle?
    Never Give in..Never Give up

Hey Wheelin, I'm T6/7 and had a little difficulty riding the leansteer. If I remember right, you have a month to try. Did any of the guys at F/R talk to you about their FRH-1 pivot steer bike? The leansteer will work your core if you still have them. Any bike you try will be difficult at first. I guess it depends on how much function you have left. Let us know how it goes. I'd also contact Steve Ackerman or Mike Lofgren at F/R for suggestions.

thank you. I havent talked to them. I bout it off ebay

If it doesn't work out, I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it here.

I know a few quads who ride lean steer Freedom Ryders and they do ok on them. It's just gonna take some time to learn to ride it. First time I bought a FR lean steer I crashed it the first day into a big rock on the side of the bike path, luckly I was hardly moving. When you first ride those things and you're not use to it, you feel like a drunken sailor.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

cool deal..thanks for the replys

Which FR did you get? Is it one of the older ones or newer ones? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I know a few quads who ride lean steer Freedom Ryders and they do ok on them. It's just gonna take some time to learn to ride it. First time I bought a FR lean steer I crashed it the first day into a big rock on the side of the bike path, luckly I was hardly moving. When you first ride those things and you're not use to it, you feel like a drunken sailor.
    Exactly, if you have trouble at 1st don't necessarily blame it on being a quad. I am T 10 and had a hard time getting used to the FR. Once you master it you can make course corrections by just moving your head slightly. Take time getting used to it, have a "spotter" help out until you master balance.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Exactly, if you have trouble at 1st don't necessarily blame it on being a quad. I am T 10 and had a hard time getting used to the FR. Once you master it you can make course corrections by just moving your head slightly. Take time getting used to it, have a "spotter" help out until you master balance.
    Yes, exactly, night and day once your use to it. Like what they say once you learn to ride a bike you don't forget. I can hop on a leaner now even after riding a pivot for years and have no problems.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I bought a lean steer Freedom Ryder CB-1 years ago and couldn't ride it, nor could my able-bodied dad. It was VERY wobbly and just impossible to balance and pedal at the same time. It sat in his basement for years until I sold it and bought one of Freedom Ryder's first FRH-1s. No offense, but maybe you should've asked the guys here if this type of bike would work for you before you bought it... I hope you can learn to ride it, but a head steer bike, like the FRH-1 or an Top End bike may be a lot easier to ride. My .02.
    Last edited by Rock517; 05-11-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete