Thread: DVD Players

DVD Players

I have a lot of time on my hands at the nursing home and I'm considering gettting a DVD player for my room. The facililty has one but they'll only loan it for a day at a time.

I have access to Fry's Elactronics in Sacramento and I'd like to get a Blu-Ray player. I read somewhere that they were down to around $80 but I've not seen any adds at Fry's in that low a price range.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Blu-Ray would be the wise choice as it'll play regular DVD's as well.

What do you mean by "Have access to Fry's", Juke? Do you mean you can get there easily or someone else can go there?

I ask because if you can go or order elsewhere, you should be able to get one on the cheap.

Steve: I don't think I would purchase a Blu-Ray Player for the price of $80. Maybe $150, and it needs to be a brand name. I would also check the Amazon customer reviews. If you're going to watch Blu-Ray DVDs, you need to have a TV that is 1080p to really take advantage of the visuals. If you're not watching on a plasma or LCD, then I would look for a DVD player around the $100 price range, or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    I have a lot of time on my hands at the nursing home and I'm considering gettting a DVD player for my room. The facililty has one but they'll only loan it for a day at a time.

I have access to Fry's Elactronics in Sacramento and I'd like to get a Blu-Ray player. I read somewhere that they were down to around $80 but I've not seen any adds at Fry's in that low a price range.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Good advice, PN.

And brands I like are... Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung...

Why spend $100 on a DVD player? no reason to at all, I bought a $50 cheap one 4 years ago and it's played every DVD I've bought or rented with no problems. A $50 one now would be better then the one I have.

I haven't ran across any sub $100 blue ray players yet, well on Newegg they do have one on sell for $99 right now, but as was stated, unless you currently have a TV to take advantage of it or plan on buying one soon it isn't needed.

You can find BR players for under $100 for a computer though and if you have a decent PC these days it's a good chance you can watch HD movies on your computer screen.

Texas, Right, right, right. If I could have gotten to Frys this past weekend I could have got a Panasonic player for $36. With NO friends to help me out I am stuck in this rigid place.

I'm using a desperation ploy to get the replacement laptop charger I need and, once I'm using it to access the internet, I can order a decent DVD player that way.

Thankd for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Why spend $100 on a DVD player? no reason to at all, I bought a $50 cheap one 4 years ago and it's played every DVD I've bought or rented with no problems. A $50 one now would be better then the one I have.

I haven't ran across any sub $100 blue ray players yet, well on Newegg they do have one on sell for $99 right now, but as was stated, unless you currently have a TV to take advantage of it or plan on buying one soon it isn't needed.

You can find BR players for under $100 for a computer though and if you have a decent PC these days it's a good chance you can watch HD movies on your computer screen.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane