Thread: crawling

crawling

hi,, i am a c5-c7 incomplete 8 months post injury. i have no problems with my arms or hands, but i have little control over my abs and lowerback. I crawl very well and also very fast, but i have very little movement in my legs. when i see videos uploaded by people with sci, i have not seen anyone crawl better than me and they have a lot more control over their legs. i am very confused. can you give any answer to this. If its my hip muscles i use, should'nt i then be able to walk with braces. thank you so much.

Hi mc740. I'm sure others can be more specific and helpful but I do know you need hip flexors. My son T12 complete and his hip flexors work well allowing him to walk in braces with a walker. He can also crawl forward and backward.
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Yes, if you can crawl forwards it suggests you have control over your hip flexors. In which case I dont see why you cant try some braces and a walker - although there is quite a bit of impact on your arms at first which can be difficult for higher level injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by mv740 View Post
    hi,, i am a c5-c7 incomplete 8 months post injury. i have no problems with my arms or hands, but i have little control over my abs and lowerback. I crawl very well and also very fast, but i have very little movement in my legs. when i see videos uploaded by people with sci, i have not seen anyone crawl better than me and they have a lot more control over their legs. i am very confused. can you give any answer to this. If its my hip muscles i use, should'nt i then be able to walk with braces. thank you so much.
    I'm T-7-8 incomplete. It's great that you can crawl, it's a major hurdle in your goal toward walking with braces.

Although you can use your hip muscles, there are other muscles that must be strengthened to walk with braces.

During my recovery and rehab, my P.T's and I focused on core and glute strengthening. These muscles support your ability to stand and walk.

It is hard work, but well worth it.