Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The magic cure

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    What is a wheal?

If our immune system can have such an effect why would it not just trigger those effects naturally? isn't that whats its there for? if only evolution had figured out how to mend spinal cords.

what do you think about the healing effects of people like Edgar Cayce or do you just not believe them? Do you buy into any of the "mysterious" medical phenomenon that occurs from time to time? Have you ever witnessed any weird things?
    Yes, exactly about evolution, I've said that many times myself over the years. Sometimes evolution really pisses me off the way it screwed up with Spinal Cord Injury. You'd think it woulda got the message what a nasty thing SCI is a long time ago and figured out a way to make our spinal cords heal.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

IMO Doctors do their patients a great disservice when in an effort "not to give false hope" they pretty much strip all hope away. I was pretty much out of it because of the pain meds but I remember the doctors coming in and asking me my name what day it was where I was and what had happened to me. I would answer all their questions and parrot back to them what I had been told I had a spinal cord injury and what does that mean mister Jacobs? I will never walk again...(again what they told me) Then they would go on their way. As time went on I would hear people talking...He is a paraplegic, his injury is complete I thought they were saying that my spinal cord was severed, they were saying complete, thought they meant completely severed... Anyway it was some time before I came to know the facts and what things really meant. A persons will and outlook have a lot to do with the outcome IMO People should just be told what has happened and let the chips fall where they may, so to speak

Curt,

I just noticed you're living in Florida now . . . . . you dog!! My state may be sending some oil your way.

This Radiolab segment on the placebo effect is an entertaining listen if you have the time.

With new research demonstrating the startling power of the placebo effect, Radio Lab examines the chemical consequences of belief and imagination...from the symbolic power of the doctor coat to the very real stash of opium in your mind. http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2007/05/18

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    Curt,

I just noticed you're living in Florida now . . . . . you dog!! My state may be sending some oil your way.
    Just Winters in Florida. Lord knows what the coast along the west coast there is going to be like next fall when I'm back there. I hope they get that oil leak stopped real soon.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Yes, exactly about evolution, I've said that many times myself over the years. Sometimes evolution really pisses me off the way it screwed up with Spinal Cord Injury. You'd think it woulda got the message what a nasty thing SCI is a long time ago and figured out a way to make our spinal cords heal.
    the truth is, before modern medicine SCI's didn't live long enough for evolution to develop a way to heal the spinal cord.

We're stuck in that domain where nature would have us dead but science can only maintain our life but not restore us.
    Last edited by Eric.S; 05-09-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    really? like what if you care to elaborate....
    Hypnosis seems to help eliminate warts faster. In 1979, Lewis Thomas, a noted biologist and past president of Sloan-Kettering, in his book entitled "Lives of a Cell, described a study of 14 patients with large numbers of warts. He discussed this again in a second book, "The Medusa and the Snail". In the study that he cites, the patients were hypnotized to suggest that the warts on one side of the body would go away. They counted the warts before and at different times after the hypnotic session. In 9 of the 14 patients, all or nearly all the warts on the suggested side were gone whereas the control side had similar numbers of warts. One subject got confused between the left and right. He eliminated the warts on the wrong side. http://www.psywww.com/intropsych/ch1...o_effects.html

Doctors have long known that their affect and how they present to patients make a big difference in how well their patients recover. If they are positive and confident, the patients do better. If they appear negative and confused, the patients don't do as well. Of course, there are all sorts of ameliorating circumstances and explanations for each case but few doctors would deny the beneficial effects of positive news.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Hypnosis seems to help eliminate warts faster. In 1979, Lewis Thomas, a noted biologist and past president of Sloan-Kettering, in his book entitled "Lives of a Cell, described a study of 14 patients with large numbers of warts. He discussed this again in a second book, "The Medusa and the Snail". In the study that he cites, the patients were hypnotized to suggest that the warts on one side of the body would go away. They counted the warts before and at different times after the hypnotic session. In 9 of the 14 patients, all or nearly all the warts on the suggested side were gone whereas the control side had similar numbers of warts. One subject got confused between the left and right. He eliminated the warts on the wrong side. http://www.psywww.com/intropsych/ch1...o_effects.html

Doctors have long known that their affect and how they present to patients make a big difference in how well their patients recover. If they are positive and confident, the patients do better. If they appear negative and confused, the patients don't do as well. Of course, there are all sorts of ameliorating circumstances and explanations for each case but few doctors would deny the beneficial effects of positive news.

Wise.
    the therapists and nursing staff should also be as informed...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Ah but you could argue that our natural path of evolution has been skewed by science and medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

Wise.
    Im involved in a documentary here in the UK whereby we are revealing that junior neurologists and consultants in the NHS are actually advised by their seniors to tell their patients to "get used to the wheelchair" and "you will probably never walk again" to all patients (except ones that have substantial return after the initial operation) and the effect that can have on ones recovery. Shocking stuff really.