Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The magic cure

Fly_Pelican_Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Im involved in a documentary here in the UK whereby we are revealing that junior neurologists and consultants in the NHS are actually advised by their seniors to tell their patients to "get used to the wheelchair" and "you will probably never walk again" to all patients (except ones that have substantial return after the initial operation) and the effect that can have on ones recovery. Shocking stuff really.
    i believe in that
    if you get it aired will you let us see it for i know this was said to me .
    AS I SIT HERE IN MY CHAIR . I LOOK OUT UPON THE GROUND .I WONDER WILL I EVER GET UP AND WALK A ROUND ??

http://justadollarplease.org

Quote Originally Posted by skeaman View Post
    i believe in that
    I believe they are negotiating with a number or broadcasting companies at present. I will post more when I know when and where it will be aired.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Ah but you could argue that our natural path of evolution has been skewed by science and medicine.
    FPF, It is not science or medicine that skewed the path of evolution. That path is clear. In larger mammals, the average regeneration distance of motor or sensory axons is at least 365 mm, almost regardless of where the injury is located on the spinal cord. So, even if the animal were to evolve regeneration genes, recovery by regeneration will require a year or longer, too long an animal to survive to spread its regenerative genes by procreation. All the animals that can regenerate their spinal cords all have spinal cords that are less than 5 cm long. When we apply regenerative therapies, we are adding something that did not evolve.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    In larger mammals, the average regeneration distance of motor or sensory axons is at least 365 mm, almost regardless of where the injury is located on the spinal cord.
    Wise.
    So I couldnt evolve "freakish" axons which regenerate faster and further?

Whenever an ancient mammal was laying around slowly recovering from a spinal cord injury our ancestors probably ate them.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was hoping that this thread contained instructions on where to find the magic cure but no such luck. Does anyone else have one? Because that would be great right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by skeaman View Post
    i believe in that
    Whatever the theories based on evolution, (and regardless of how many of our ancestors scored a good meal from recovering bigger mammals!) this is the ultimate defeatism that the allegedly smartest, though lest wise at times, creature on the planet should resist with all his strength and will. It is twaddle.

In rehab, a consultant told me he "never" says never. I had mentioned the case of a school friend whose grandfather was injured in WW1 would be told that he would "never walk again". Later he walked from Bournemouth to Torquay, and additionally went on to live an active life until well into his 80s.

These dismal doctors should be reminded of the saying "while I live, I hope".
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Having come in at the tail end of this thread, on picking up a recent addition to it, I found the original posts very interesting. I have heard of Edgar Cayce, but cannot profess a study of what he did.

Mention is made of what we may call faith healing, or to put it another way, mind over matter.

While sticking to strictly medical ethos, have I missed mention of double blind? This uses placebos, but the statistics are gathered from an independent arbiter: neither the patients nor their doctors know who got one or the other. As there are instances where alternative therapy gave positive results, we may draw further conclusions from that.

Having said that, what Manoulli asked about placebo being a therapeutic tool, I find interesting. At present, we cannot (and should not) be dogmatic either way. Only some are healed when visiting Lourdes.
    Last edited by chris arnold; 03-02-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Additon made
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.