Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Walk will be on CNN

I thought Dr Sanjay Gupta was awesome reporting in the studio after the Project Walk video aired, describing in detail incomplete sci ect. very comprehensive. And the value of exercise. Great National attention! would be great to find that video!

I missed the recorded part but did see Sanjay. Thought it was interesting how he treaded around the issues of hope and the chances of recovery. Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

The problem I have with Project Walk is that their services are only available to rich folks who can afford them. It's a shame that everyone can't get the level of PT they offer and have it covered by their insurance companies. IMO, this just represents one more example of injustice and inequity in this world. Too bad CNN didn't discuss it from that angle.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Injustice and inequity Danine?

Did you lobby your insurance carrier for funds to pay for PW?
    Have you done any fundraisers to help pay the cost?
    Applied for grants? Scholarships? Tried to negotiate?
    Asked for PW donations?
    Do you have a job?

If you made EVERY effort to figure out how to pay for the PW program and were denied entry you might have a point on injustice. If you or another sci patient were given too very different rate quotes for the PW program then you could claim unequal opportunity or in your terms; inequity.

However, to simply get angry about how a business markets itself, the fees they charge and the clientele they typically attract is short-sighted. Just like you don't have to buy an $80,000 car to get you from point A to B you don't have to attend PW to glean (from this forum) helpful workout / strength / conditioning tips for yourself virtually for free.

I understand what you're saying but PW is a good program and is a business with employees, overhead, expenses, etc. It's not for everyone but it certainly, at least from my experience when they were just starting, isn't an elitist only environment. In fact, just the opposite. My advice, lobby your insurance carrier.

Onward and upward,

Chris

chris,
    i think danine was saying that insurance companies should cover PW expenses.i have paid out of pocket for my son to attend PW and it was money well spent.my son has attended both in and out patient rehab that was covered by insurance,both were a waste of time and whatever money insurance reimbursed them.

Btw Eric, good piece.

Ultimately though, as I've studied this and participated in a number of clinical trials, etc. I believe that curative therapies, like PW's program, are absolutely necessary for additional sci recovery. However, primarily, I believe that the additional need and necessity of some type of biological or surgical intervention is just as, if not moreso, important. Exercise and intensive workouts, kinesiology, etc. alone will not result in restoration of function that I would consider synonmous with "cure". For true physiological incremental restoration of nerve and muscle innervation biological assistance will also be a major component in our recovery.

Onward and Upward,

Chris

My take-away from this discussion is that ongoing aggressive physical therapy should be the norm for every SCI patient, sub-acute or chronic. Park a car for an extended period of time, it rarely functions again.

Goals should be set high. Expectations should be for maximum effort. Promises (inferred or implied) of recovery should be non-existent.

Profit as a rationing tool is a bad model for healthcare delivery.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell View Post
    Injustice and inequity Danine?

Did you lobby your insurance carrier for funds to pay for PW?
    Have you done any fundraisers to help pay the cost?
    Applied for grants? Scholarships? Tried to negotiate?
    Asked for PW donations?
    Do you have a job?

If you made EVERY effort to figure out how to pay for the PW program and were denied entry you might have a point on injustice. If you or another sci patient were given too very different rate quotes for the PW program then you could claim unequal opportunity or in your terms; inequity.

However, to simply get angry about how a business markets itself, the fees they charge and the clientele they typically attract is short-sighted. Just like you don't have to buy an $80,000 car to get you from point A to B you don't have to attend PW to glean (from this forum) helpful workout / strength / conditioning tips for yourself virtually for free.

I understand what you're saying but PW is a good program and is a business with employees, overhead, expenses, etc. It's not for everyone but it certainly, at least from my experience when they were just starting, isn't an elitist only environment. In fact, just the opposite. My advice, lobby your insurance carrier.

Onward and upward,

Chris
    You obviously don't get it!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Quote Originally Posted by jim sampson View Post
    chris,
    i think danine was saying that insurance companies should cover PW expenses.i have paid out of pocket for my son to attend PW and it was money well spent.my son has attended both in and out patient rehab that was covered by insurance,both were a waste of time and whatever money insurance reimbursed them.
    That is how I understood Danine.

I actually didnt think the piece on Project Walk was done very well, it did not send a very positive message...the CNN reporters were implying that Project Walk was a scam, they used the term "voo doo therapy" implying that the SCI community is so desperate that they are being taken advantage of. I was frustrated when I watched it.

Sanjay Gupta was ok but too much focus on complete vs incomplete (I cant even get a straight answer/diagnosis on that) rather than discussing activity based therapies, research and hope for the future.

We need somebody on CNN clearing the air about our community and how hard we work, whether its at Project Walk or elsewhere and Stem Cell research and clinical trials...too many are afraid to talk about this issue.