Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round Betty Dino + Surelocks

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Hi Stephen212, I’m new here and I’m doing research for a new chair. I’ve been reading back through old threads here and I notice that you have had a number of wheels. I wonder which set of wheels that you have preferred as the best? The advantages and disadvantages of each wheel?

1. Spinergy LX Wheel. They seem to be the most popular here.
    2. Round Betty Dino Wheel. They may weigh slightly more but I am curious to know if their claim of increased stiffness actually does translate into a better rolling performance?
    3. Rogue wheel. I’ve seen a few people here have them but I haven’t come across a thread yet dedicated to a discussion of them. How much do they weigh? Are they available exclusively through Marvel chairs? Marvel has one called the Tempest wheel, is it the same as the Rogue wheel?
    4. Sun Fusion 16
    5. Sorano wheel. I know the company does not exist anymore but I wonder how the other wheels compare to it.
    Performance-wise the LX and the Dino are a photo finish. The Dino's spokes are stiffer (which is better when using locking hub systems) and, so, theoretically the rolling performance should be improved. However, if there's a difference it's fractional at most. Kinda like comparing the performance of your tires on the day after you inflated them -- there's probably some infinitesimal pressure loss, but chances are you won't perceive the difference.

Haven't weighed the Rogue wheel. Just the same, I don't think they're available anymore. With Jeff and Christian out, Marvel appears to have defaulted to using Spinergys.

The Soranos, like the Rogues, were designed by Christian Bagg, formerly of Marvel (and now with Jeff Adams, the future of Icon Wheelchairs -- we should all stay tuned). The Soranos were a 650c rim, a slightly larger diameter than a 559 rim. Very high-quality wheel, but 559 tires won't fit. For the time that I had them, they were absolutely trouble free.

Sun Fusion. . . never tried one, but by many accounts it may represent the best value available.

Thank you Stephen for your reply. With Jeff and Christian soon begining Icon wheelchairs maybe the Rogue wheel will resurface.

I have a set of Soranos, however, a very small part of one the flanges of a axle hub cracked off. Would you happen to know if its possible for it to be repaired by a welder?

Or maybe another set of hubs are necessary? I seem remember the Sorano wheel featured a very narrow hub. I wonder if a Rogue hub or a LX hub would fit the Sorano wheel?

@JMS - the 'Tempest' wheel is/was their off road wheel set.

Noteworthy about this design is that the hub is offset an amount equal to the extra width of the knobby tire. This translates into the same wheel to frame spacing when swapping between everyday and lawn tires.

You can see the offset where the hub and frame come together in this pic:

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I didn't know Tilite offered a carbon fiber seat pan, how much less does it weigh than the aluminum and how much does it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I didn't know Tilite offered a carbon fiber seat pan, how much less does it weigh than the aluminum and how much does it cost?
    TiLite does not offer a carbon fiber seat; they now offer a composite plastic seat pan.

The carbon fiber seat pan on my chair was an aftermarket purchase from a cf supplier called DragonPlate.

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out.

Reviving an old thread here but figured it was better then starting a new one on the same topic.

I just got a pair of Spinergy LX's and the Surelocks (thank you Stephen212 and Jack, respectively). After having to perform a few minor modifications to make everything work I'm finally rolling. However there is a lot of play in my wheels when locked and it's pretty annoying. Stephen says the Dino's are stiffer when locked but I'm not sure I want to shell out $600 for a set. Does anyone have experience with the Sun Fusion16 wheels while using Surelocks? Wondering how stiff those are.

Quote Originally Posted by Covathalis View Post
    Reviving an old thread here but figured it was better then starting a new one on the same topic.

I just got a pair of Spinergy LX's and the Surelocks (thank you Stephen212 and Jack, respectively). After having to perform a few minor modifications to make everything work I'm finally rolling. However there is a lot of play in my wheels when locked and it's pretty annoying. Stephen says the Dino's are stiffer when locked but I'm not sure I want to shell out $600 for a set. Does anyone have experience with the Sun Fusion16 wheels while using Surelocks? Wondering how stiff those are.
    There is an unavoidable amount of movement regardless of the type of wheel and you will most likely adjust to the feel of your setup. What matters most is your confidence that even with the measure of play that's present, the hubs will remain locked, and it make take a day or two for you to get used to the new feel. Once you're psychologically convinced that the chair isn't going anywhere, you'll forget about the flex.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    There is an unavoidable amount of movement regardless of the type of wheel and you will most likely adjust to the feel of your setup. What matters most is your confidence that even with the measure of play that's present, the hubs will remain locked, and it make take a day or two for you to get used to the new feel. Once you're psychologically convinced that the chair isn't going anywhere, you'll forget about the flex.
    I am getting used to it but it still feels excessive to me. I wonder if there is a way to make the locking bolt fit tighter with the hub disk?

My actuator is beneath my frame and I wish it was on the side but it runs into my wheels
    No way to fix this sadly that I can tell.
    "What is the first business of one who studies... To part with self conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he thinks he already knows." -Epictetus (55-135) Greek Philosopher

it's doubtful that's where the play is. Get out of your chair and wiggle the wheels with the locks engaged. You'll notice that the hub is locked solid and the spokes are flexing causing the rocking. Get used to it, but it takes a while.. I'm going on 4 months with mine and it still trips me out.