Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round Betty Dino + Surelocks

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    I`m a bit like you too, very nice and clean chair, but knowing as you are i`m sure that you will change soon that black pushrims, because you will can see any scratches on them from milles away
    Clear anodized alumnum push rims are not yet available with the Round Bettys otherwise I would have chosen them. When the time comes to replace them, however, that's what I'll get. They're available from wheelchairparts.net and not that expensive.

I was thinking in order that brakes for my new chair, but when i knew the price i changed my mind, is to much money for only a brakes for me, because i don`t use them much because i`ve got fendered sideguards and that makes that i don`t need to lock the wheels much times.
    The Surelocks are so incredibly simple, hassle-free and convenient to operate that you wind up using them MUCH more than ordinary crap brakes. Insurance will likely pay for them too. And if you tell Jack Roberts (owner of Surelock) that I referred you, he'll give you 40% off retail. That price is as good or better than a set of D's and it's a better product too.
    Last edited by stephen212; 05-08-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Just curious, why do you feel Surelocks are better than D's.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Clear anodized alumnum push rims are not yet available with the Round Bettys .
    Round Bettys use the same rim as Spinergys and Sun Fusion.
    So you could order a pair of push rims for a Spinergys wire and put them in your wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    ^x2 do you like the round bettys better than spinergy lx's?

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    I know I'm droning on about this . . .

I originally got a set of D's for my ZR. After seeing how Lasher integrates the mounting of the pin assembly directly into the frame of his chairs, I asked D's if it was possible to create a custom replacement camber clamp for my ZR which would have the mounting hole for the pins. He said no can do.

I stumbled upon a post in the CareCure archives that mentioned Surelock, whom I'd never heard of before -- they don't advertise anywhere. I contacted them, pitched my idea for an integrated system, and they (Jack, the owner) said it was a great idea and built it for me. So major kudos for listening to his customers' needs.

Since then, I asked Jack if it was possible to add more position stop holes to the discs. He immediately ran with the idea and added 7 more holes -- they now have 27, which is 4 more than are available on D's. This allows more precise positioning when locking your chair.

Surelock made the first set of Round Betty Dino discs for me as well as a very elegant set of discs for a set of Rogue Wheels that I have, which I am going to be using on my backup chair, my old New Halls Wheels Hallmark.

Other things I like: The feel of the actuator lever -- the handle you toggle to lock and release the chair -- is far smoother on the Surelock. Customer support: Jack almost always answers the phone; with D's I typically had to leave a phone message -- a bunch of them, in fact -- before I heard back.

Price: Surelock/Jack knows that I plug his product and I'm trying to increase exposure for him. That's my way of saying thanks to him. He's responded by "authorizing" me to offer his product at 40% off -- dealer's cost -- which is roughly $520. I wish it was less expensive -- I wish everything was less expensive! -- but knowing what it is, it's indispensable. And it's also a custom made product, not off the shelf.

Wheelchair brakes were always my very least favorite component: they were a pain to use and a nuisance to maintain. The Surelocks are a delight to use. They are, in fact, the very best feature of my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by jhm View Post
    ^x2 do you like the round bettys better than spinergy lx's?
    I have had no complaints with my Spinergy LXs -- they've been trouble free over the two years that I've been using them. However, the Round Betty Dinos do seem stiffer to me; there is noticeably less spoke flexing when my Surelocks are engaged. That in itself is not a huge deal, but if the stiffer spokes translate into a more efficient push then the Dinos may have the edge over the Spinergys. And, of course, I think the Dinos are pretty cool looking too.

I'm picking up a set of RB's this week. I went with them over LX's just for a change and to kind of protest the ridiculous price Spinergy's charge.

stephen, how about a pic of your everyday ride, would like to see what Stephen212 uses on a daily basis.
    hasnt anyone tried the SunFusion 16's? ive been very pleased with mine. am i the only one rollin with'em? i havent seemed to catch on the the RB yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMach View Post
    stephen, how about a pic of your everyday ride, would like to see what Stephen212 uses on a daily basis.
    hasnt anyone tried the SunFusion 16's? ive been very pleased with mine. am i the only one rollin with'em? i havent seemed to catch on the the RB yet.
    The chair pictured in the original posting is my everyday ride and has been for the past 5 years. I don't have a collection of chairs, just the ZR and a Halls chair that I'm still refurbishing.

One thing I don't like about the Surelocks is the mounting ring that goes on the inside of the hub to hold the locking ring to the wheel. It looks like it's carrying much more metal (and weight) than it needs to, compared to the D's. I do really like the more holes on the locking rings on the SL, a definite improvement and the 'pistons' appear to be higher quality.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I know I'm droning on about this . . .

I originally got a set of D's for my ZR. After seeing how Lasher integrates the mounting of the pin assembly directly into the frame of his chairs, I asked D's if it was possible to create a custom replacement camber clamp for my ZR which would have the mounting hole for the pins. He said no can do.

I stumbled upon a post in the CareCure archives that mentioned Surelock, whom I'd never heard of before -- they don't advertise anywhere. I contacted them, pitched my idea for an integrated system, and they (Jack, the owner) said it was a great idea and built it for me. So major kudos for listening to his customers' needs.

Since then, I asked Jack if it was possible to add more position stop holes to the discs. He immediately ran with the idea and added 7 more holes -- they now have 27, which is 4 more than are available on D's. This allows more precise positioning when locking your chair.

Surelock made the first set of Round Betty Dino discs for me as well as a very elegant set of discs for a set of Rogue Wheels that I have, which I am going to be using on my backup chair, my old New Halls Wheels Hallmark.

Other things I like: The feel of the actuator lever -- the handle you toggle to lock and release the chair -- is far smoother on the Surelock. Customer support: Jack almost always answers the phone; with D's I typically had to leave a phone message -- a bunch of them, in fact -- before I heard back.

Price: Surelock/Jack knows that I plug his product and I'm trying to increase exposure for him. That's my way of saying thanks to him. He's responded by "authorizing" me to offer his product at 40% off -- dealer's cost -- which is roughly $520. I wish it was less expensive -- I wish everything was less expensive! -- but knowing what it is, it's indispensable. And it's also a custom made product, not off the shelf.

Wheelchair brakes were always my very least favorite component: they were a pain to use and a nuisance to maintain. The Surelocks are a delight to use. They are, in fact, the very best feature of my chair.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.