Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first electric wc and I have no choice

My first electric wc and I have no choice

My CBA program is going to buy me a wc. They only have 5000$ to spend on it. They are pushing the Jazzy or Jazzy Select. I just wanted one that would hold a charge and the batteries won't die on me after a year. I will only use it around the house. Any ideas.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Mary, Check out some of the lower cost Invacare power chairs. My first powerchair had to be a relatively low cost one and I got an Invacare Neutron at the time. I do not know if that particular model is still made, but it has held up very well, has decent power and long battery life. It has since been replaced, but I still use it as a back up, and that is after eight years of daily use.

Mary, I just did some research for you and it turns out the Invacare Neutron is still being made. Check out the following link.

http://www.spinlife.com/Invacare-Nut...0414&template=

I have several power chairs. A Jazzy among them. If you are primarily indoors I recommend the Hoveround http://www.hoveround.com/ this one http://www.hoveround.com/wp/products...r-wheel-chair/
    It has a very small turning radius and is easily transportable. In the house when I use a power-chair it's always the Hoveround. Everything else is just too big imo!
    May Good fortune shine on you in getting the best chair for you!
    Last edited by PeteShick; 05-05-2010 at 04:58 PM.

For indoor use, I'm sure the Jazzy would be ok.

However, try different chairs before you decide, within that price bracket of course. Indoors, midwheel will be best because of their turning radius in tight spots.

Stay away from the Invacare Torque. Despite being called 'The Storm Series' you can't go out in the rain without shorting out the control box. I've shorted out two this winter!

Pete, could you please elaborate on the "easy transportability" of the Hoveround? The thing looks like a barcolounger on wheels -- do they break down? How big/heavy is the largest piece?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Avoid a Hoveround! They are designed as a power chair for elderly people who are not real active in the community and are still semi-ambulatory. They have few if any customizable features, not very good power, and are a bear to figure out how to use with an EZ-Lock in a van. Tie-downs in general are difficult with them.

(KLD)

Well, Mary, here is my story. I wanted a powerchair for yard work. I am T-7. I had used the recomended manual chair for 15 yrs. Medicare was not going to buy me a powerchair, but I searched the newspapers, craigslist, etc. and found a "6 mo. used, Jet 3 " for $500. There were, and are many similiar buys out there. Now I am completely spoiled, after 3 yrs. and use it for everything. I already had a van but still use the manual when traveling with friends in cars, or visiting other folks homes with a few steps. The jet3 has been OK. have to replace batteries every year and have replaced the worn out wheels this year, but I live rurally with more gravel than pavement. I really worried about pressure sores since it has a basic car seat. Not the Jay, gel seat I have used for so long. But 3 yrs now and no problem, though I think my ample "padding" is a benifit in that respect. Best of luck in your choice.

Are you a powerchair user SCI-nurse?

As one's only chair, I agree with you. But as an additional chair to someone primarily using a manual chair, the Hoveround "around the house" is great. Since 1979 I've had an E&J, two Jazzys, the Hoveround, and an iBot for power chairs. My primary is a ZRA manual.
    The Hoveround is easy to maneuver in the house with fewer "scars" on the walls! SCI-Nurse your concerns are valid but your advice to "Avoid the Hoveround" is out of line imo. It costs nothing to try it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Avoid a Hoveround! They are designed as a power chair for elderly people who are not real active in the community and are still semi-ambulatory. They have few if any customizable features, not very good power, and are a bear to figure out how to use with an EZ-Lock in a van. Tie-downs in general are difficult with them.

(KLD)