Thread: Need help with Vendor procedures when ordering a new wheelchair

Need help with Vendor procedures when ordering a new wheelchair

Is it customary for Vendors to bill your insurance and be paid money for a new wheel chair before they have actually purchased it or finalized the order with the manufacturer?

I am ordering a new Ti-Lite chair (have been in the process for going on 7 months now) and noticed on my insurance EOB that there is already an "amount paid to provider" of a little over $2,800. Following are a bunch of charges (for upgrades like flex-rims and such) that have been denied which the vendor says I will have to pay out of pocket. I am assuming this means that money has been sent from my insurance to the provider. Ti-Lite drew up the CAD drawings for my chair but I have not approved them and in fact still had questions about some of the measurements. While I have been in a chair for 20 years, this is the first time in 10 years that I have needed to order a new chair (yes, I've had an incredible Ti-Lite). Is this customary? I have private Blue Cross insurance through my employer. I didn't think the pre-authorization process meant that money would actually be exchanged. If the charges submitted to my insurance are inflated (the whole thing could be purchased elsewhere for less), then am I stuck with this vendor because they already got money from my insurance company (even though NOTHING has been purchased)?

Thanks to anyone who is willing to weigh in!
    Last edited by hardcastle; 05-06-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: No replies to question.