Thread: question for wise

question for wise

question about "lack" of neurological pain

I am C456 since 2002 and I have never had any neurological pain at all. I just have never said anything because there is no reason to all the people that suffer.

I was just wondering: whats the science behind not having neurological pain?
    Is that common?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Don't talk to loud about it. I didn't have any pain the first 10 years either so you better knock on wood.
    TH 12, 43 years post

noted, thanks, I was wondering about that too... Can it just "show up "
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    question about "lack" of neurological pain

I am C456 since 2002 and I have never had any neurological pain at all. I just have never said anything because there is no reason to all the people that suffer.

I was just wondering: whats the science behind not having neurological pain?
    Is that common?
    I have always said that if we knew why people did not have neuropathic pain, we would have the cure for neuropathic pain. Obviously, I don't yet have the cure for neuropathic pain.

Similar questions can be asked of spasticity. About half of people have severe spasticity after spinal cord injury. The answer for absence of spasticity is easier than absence of neuropathic pain. Basically, a person does not have spasticity if they have damaged the gray matter that is responsible for the reflexes that become hyperexcitable after having been denervated. Unfortunately, I don't think that damage to cervical spinal cord gray matter is the reason for the absence of neuropathic pain.

Wise.

Stem Cell Cure for Chronic Pain?

I know there is much hope for stem cell therapy helping restore function to SCI patients. I'm wondering if there is also the potential for stem cells to help reduce or eliminate chronic pain.

My spinal cord injury is the consequence of surgery that successfully resected an intramedullary ependymoma, T10 - T12. While I'm fairly mobile, my big issue is constant pain, which takes the form of my knees feeling clenched and my ankle feeling like it's being squeezed in a vice. None of it is musculoskeletal; other than being numb to the touch and having somewhat compromised balance, I test pretty normally. So I assume it would be considered neuropathic pain. Meds only partially address it, and of course I'd much rather not be taking them.

Dr. Wise: Is there hope for progress in treating this type of pain with stem cells?

Thanks.