Thread: Finding a live in care giver

Finding a live in care giver

Im planning on living in a different location and im probably gonna need a care giver. What is the best way to find a care giver? What happens if your care giver has an emergancy or can't make it to you for what ever reason? how do you arrange a back up. I will be far away from family so there wont really be anyone else to depend on which is kind of creepy to me. Any ideas or experiences are appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    Im planning on living in a different location and im probably gonna need a care giver. What is the best way to find a care giver? What happens if your care giver has an emergancy or can't make it to you for what ever reason? how do you arrange a back up. I will be far away from family so there wont really be anyone else to depend on which is kind of creepy to me. Any ideas or experiences are appreciated..
    Live-in is the most difficult to recruit. Most people have their own families and lives, and don't want a live-in job. Although it takes more coordination, several part time people may be more do-able.

Many of us here have found that Craig's List is a good resource for recruitment. Some prefer to recruit college aged students, esp. those in health care profession majors. You may want to read some of the other extensive threads on this forum about recruitment, interviewing, drawing up a job description and contract, supervision, and firing of attendants.

It is important to find a back-up for your PCAs. When interviewing, ask those that you don't hire if they are interested in doing back-up. Ask those you do hire if they want extra hours occasionally, and if they are available for emergency back-up. You may also want to explore agencies for short term back-up arrangements (although this is quite expensive).

(KLD)

im about 2 b living on my own soon, i've prepared myself mentally as far as being alone 4 three long days. im gonna have a survival emergency duffel bag beside my bed on a over the bed table and five gallons of water w/ a long hose. im prep for war n' im going dwn w/ a bang homie. im set-up w/ a care agency and they do most of leg work as far as my caregivers, agencies are alot more reliable. they have a hot line set-up for their employees and they send all of them messages wen a shift needs to be filled. living next to a bus line works out best, since most caregivers use the metro in the city. i keep in good contact w/ them and ask whats the best shifts availble and work w/ and around them. its always gonna b weird asking a strange person for help, this is where my spunk pours out n' i keep'em interested, almost like talkin to a babe. [she see's my hook, i encourage her to bite, i pull back gently and wait til shes ready to be reeled in.]

this is my plan so far and im in ur exact position homes, every cast has its count. Good luck to you and me.

In case an agency isn't an option, I personally have four caregivers, one for weekday days, one for weekend nights, one for weekday nights and one for weekends. Between all of them I always seem to have a backup when another one can't make it and I hired them all through craigslist.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.