Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wondering about a gift for new inc. quad

Maybe an online gift card to Amazon.

Some good homemade cookies or dark chocolate (a mood enhancer!) is something she is probably not seeing a lot of in the hospital. Some nice scented lotions too might be enjoyed.

I did love the tazer for her idiot husband though....

When u visit her can u ask if it would be alright to send her cards? I think there are many here that would send a card to let her know that she is not alone. A few words of encouragement may lift her spirits.

awesome idea! I will indeed ask.

I found the greatest gift to be the visit & inspiration of another SCI'er itself. The talks alone helped tremendously. My first mentor was a para that taught me things to look for & advocated on my behalf before I knew, what a relief! I was usually minds away when she visited but I am very grateful she was near.

The idea of a journal is great. I so often wish I'd kept "thoughts" on paper & in picture to show my progress.

I loved getting lotions & soaps, real tissues & razors; any creature comforts that made me feel a little prettier.

Call ahead to see what length her hair is..HAIR BANDS! Us girls know they're so needed much more once you need something easier, to combat bed head & for therapy.

I've taken my laptop before along with a comedy to watch.

Note: not sure if you've mentored before but I've had one refuse seeing me because I was 'still' in a chair. Good luck!

Take a laptop & a movie to watch with her.

Some of my favorite gifts I got in rehab were: playing cards, mindless magazines (I was too doped up to do any heavy reading), shampoo, conditioner, and lotion from Bath and Body Works. Oh yes, I also had my mom sneak in peanut butter crackers and 6-packs of Coca-Cola...I wasn't supposed to have Coke because of the steroid-induced diabetes, but I survived ;-)
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

OK everyone...I went and spent about 2 hours with her today and she is an absolutely lovely woman. She's got a long road ahead of her, but with a little help, I believe she's going to do great. She's been in the hospital for 5 months now due to really bad skin problems, but they are now healing and once that's finished, she'll be heading to the rehab center... in the meantime, she has a PT and an OT (met both of them) working with her a lot.
    Anyway...she would love to receive cards...she has no family (dad is very elderly and in another state, mom is deceased as is her only sibling...and she has no kids.)

If anyone could use a little uplifting, it's her for sure. I'll be going once a week (would go more but she's an hour drive (one way) and at least for the next two weeks I need to get my husband to drive me there as I'm still recovering from my femur surgery.

I told her about Care Cure and we are going to somehow find a laptop for her in the next week (hopefully) so she can have access to this site and just the freedom to surf the net in general.
    If you'd like to mail a card to her, here's the contact info:

***edited for privacy*** PM me if you would like to send her a card. Thanks!

Waccamaw Community Hospital
    4070 Highway 17 Bypass South
    Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
    Last edited by ThinkerGirl; 05-07-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Oh yeah... what I took her was:

a wheelchair backpack (courtesy of the SC Spinal Cord Injury Association) with the PVA spinal cord injury guide and the Reeve foundation book
    a skin checking mirror
    a reacher
    hand sanitizer
    wet wipes
    a tire patch kit

and from me directly:
    a pretty journal
    2 pretty/girly pens
    some Bath & Body Works lotion
    and then before I left, she said how much she'd been craving a McD's cheeseburger, so I went and got her one and a chocolate milkshake -- yum!

Quad79 and Danine -- next visit I am going to pack up a "girly pack" - which I know now she will LOVE.
    And great idea about the movies.

Thanks so much everyone.

Don't know if it's a good idea posting her name and location on the Internets. Maybe PMing people would be best. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

You're a good person for helping this woman out ThinkerGirl. I bet it means a lot to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkerGirl View Post
    OK everyone...I went and spent about 2 hours with her today and she is an absolutely lovely woman. She's got a long road ahead of her, but with a little help, I believe she's going to do great. She's been in the hospital for 5 months now due to really bad skin problems, but they are now healing and once that's finished, she'll be heading to the rehab center... in the meantime, she has a PT and an OT (met both of them) working with her a lot.
    Anyway...she would love to receive cards...she has no family (dad is very elderly and in another state, mom is deceased as is her only sibling...and she has no kids.)

If anyone could use a little uplifting, it's her for sure. I'll be going once a week (would go more but she's an hour drive (one way) and at least for the next two weeks I need to get my husband to drive me there as I'm still recovering from my femur surgery.

I told her about Care Cure and we are going to somehow find a laptop for her in the next week (hopefully) so she can have access to this site and just the freedom to surf the net in general.
    Last edited by rdf; 05-07-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Hi ThinkerGirl, Sounds like you had a nice visit. I am glad she will have a friend.
    When you are in the hosptial or rehab mail can brighten the day too.