Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wondering about a gift for new inc. quad

Wondering about a gift for new inc. quad

I've been asked to go talk to a newly injured 46 year old women (SCI, incomplete quad with fairly good use of one arm, not so much the other) -- She is very depressed and in denial -- 5 months post-injury and still in hospital due to 2 sores, and a hubby that is basically bailing on her.
    I want to take her something as a gift...having a hard time figuring out what -- something to maybe take her mind off things when she's overwhelmed -- any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Why do you say she is in denial??

Most people with SCI want the same type of gifts that ABs want. There are no real "gimp gifts" that may not make her feel even more disabled.

How about an iPad or iPod she can easily operate?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Why do you say she is in denial??

Most people with SCI want the same type of gifts that ABs want. There are no real "gimp gifts" that may not make her feel even more disabled.

How about an iPad or iPod she can easily operate?

(KLD)
    I've been SCI for 23 years --

the therapist who's asked me to speak to her used the phrase "in denial" -- because she says her life is on hold until she is healed or cured of her SCI.

Thanks anyway.

Give her a tazer to zap her husband-jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Give her a tazer to zap her husband-jerk!
    No doubt! I love this suggestion!

How about a diary to right down her thoughts, you can explain to her that one day she will be able to look back and realize that its not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    How about a diary to right down her thoughts, you can explain to her that one day she will be able to look back and realize that its not the end of the world.

Awesome...perfect! Thank you!

I hope it helps. I know it seems like the end right now but I hope somehow you can incorporate it into your talk with her. Oh yea, and don't forget to put cc address in the book so she can come visit here.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    I hope it helps. I know it seems like the end right now but I hope somehow you can incorporate it into your talk with her. Oh yea, and don't forget to put cc address in the book so she can come visit here.

Will do for sure...this place is incredibly helpful in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkerGirl View Post
    I've been SCI for 23 years --

the therapist who's asked me to speak to her used the phrase "in denial" -- because she says her life is on hold until she is healed or cured of her SCI.

Thanks anyway.
    I've been injured for almost 13 years and I still sometimes think parts of me are in denial or I'm extremely apathetic--not sure if those two connect in some way.

However, as for a gift, give her the gift of laughter. Does she enjoy comedians? You can buy Joan Rivers, Kathy Griffin, Bill Maher, or Wanda Sykes doing stand-up fairly cheap at deepdiscount.com. They're amazingly funny, but not for someone who's easily offended or particularly religious.

If she's religious, then find spiritual gifts, like books to edify her or items like a rainbow maker that she can hang near sunlight and watch the beautiful colors the prism makes.
    Here's a link: http://acornonline.com/rainbow-maker/p/14489/ They're so beautiful to look at.