Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Access to high motel beds LOL

Access to high motel beds LOL

Here's what happens when the imagination runs wild after encountering vacation obstacles. In our manual wheelchairs, transfer to high motel beds was near impossible.

much easier to tell them to remove the frame. thats what we always do. i do it when i make the reservations
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Love your sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    much easier to tell them to remove the frame. thats what we always do. i do it when i make the reservations
    yup, just do this.

although i wait until seeing the room in person. some hotels are getting better about bed heights. i've had good success recently at hiltons & sheratons.

to expand; on our honeymoon they asked me what height i would like, after asking to remove bed frame, i told them and they accomodated
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I always pack my power saw when going to motels! lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

We are going to a niece's graduation in June. My mother-in-law said there are plenty of handicap rooms in the area. I reminded her of the Hoyer lift. She means well, but does not think of all the equipment we need to take.
    She went to look at a room that has a bed not on a platform and made a reservation.
    It should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    much easier to tell them to remove the frame.
    Most seem to be able to accomodate by removing the frame but not all. I recenly stayed at one place where the bed was on a huge wooden platform and couldn't be lowered (had to remove the mattress and sleep on a skinny pad). Scifor55s power saw would have been handy.

I'm currently corresponding with a hotel for a work meeting where the bed is 29" and they are telling me they can't lower it.

This is getting to be a real problem over here, every time a hotel chain refurbs. out go the 20' to 25' beds and in come the fashionable 30 inchers.

What's with putting these beds in the handicapped rooms, it doesn't take a PhD in rocket science to see that it makes a transfer impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    This is getting to be a real problem over here, every time a hotel chain refurbs. out go the 20' to 25' beds and in come the fashionable 30 inchers.

What's with putting these beds in the handicapped rooms, it doesn't take a PhD in rocket science to see that it makes a transfer impossible!
    Triumph (poster) is my wife, that's me in 3rd picture. That jack is operated on DC power and powered by a spare rechargeable compressor. I had a welder fix a little platform on it and accessed this by plywood ramp. Alas, a failure - too unstable due to lack of mechanical aptitude. Our inventive efforts were motivated by our last trip. We assumed that Microtel Inns would be accessible re beds due to past experience and close review of their website. Overconfident, we didn't call ahead, the Microtel kept promisding their maint. guy would be coming in to lower bed - never happened. We called ahead on our remaining stops and with some resistance were largely successful. Almost all the places we stopped had high beds which neeeded to be altered. In a previous thread someone explained ADA has no specific reg for beds. I think in some cases the chains may not actually want sci customers and prefer to rent their handicapped rooms to older but lesser impaired people. Just a guess on my part.

Anyway, we had fuin with our projects. The 1st picture is a trailer tire tube which was good for achieving elevation but none too stable. In the near future my wife will be getting a backup power chair which will have power elevating seat (5" rise) this is our next solution to the problems imposed by the so far deaf motel industry.