Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: van conversion $

van conversion $

are there still ways to get van conversions paid for?

so everyone paid 20 grand outta pocket to put a ramp in their van....ok

Well a friend of mine did pay out of pocket. I was a tight wad went the long route through D.A.R.S. It was the worst two years of red tape crap in my life! As a matter of fact I have my attorney on them now. I learned my lesson for sure.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Blog Entries
    I've never found funding. I have paid for mine; always buy used. Not everything I want, but who gets that in this life?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by hennyville View Post
    so everyone paid 20 grand outta pocket to put a ramp in their van....ok
    OVR paid for my first adaption because I needed it to go to college. The next two I paid for out my pocket which is what happens when you start working. Last one was about $20k.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

In many states, if you qualify for Vocational Rehab services through the state (ie, you are going to school or have an employment plan) AND you require a van to get to school or work (and cannot ride public transportation or school-provided shuttles instead) you may qualify for them to pay for the costs of the adaptations (although generally not for the van itself). There are a lot of IFs!!

Since our family van was purchased after my mother (the person with the disability) retired, there was no funding available. We paid for the whole van (already adapted) out of pocket. The first van we purchased was a low milage used van (purchased through Disabled Dealer, for $25,000 15 years ago), the second one was new ($42,000 9 years ago).

Adapting an existing van (lowering floor, installing ramp or lift, raising the roof) may actually cost you more than the purchase of an already adapted van, either used or new.

Many people plan fund raisers around purchase of a van, and a van can often be funded through a P.A.S.S. plan for those who are living on SSI.

(KLD)

Finding funding for van modifications.

You have to be resourceful when you are seeking for funding for van modifications. All of my van modifications were paid via Ohio Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation, BVR. Two solid reasons, one I was going to college and second I was gainfully employed. No questions asked. I had to follow their guidelines and it took six months but they cover it each time.

I can tell you where millions of dollars for college tuition is but that is another posting. Meanwhile ...

I served on the Lorain Advocacy Board for People with Disabilities for fifteen years and learned about how to seek funding for events or things. Here are some resources you can seek out:

Easy one, pay out of pocket, but you don't want that.

Mom? Dad? Grandpa? Grandma? Worth a try?

If you are going to college your state's BVR should pay for funding.

If you are employed? Again BVR should automatically pay for funding to keep you gainfully employed.
    This one is a no-brainer!

Again, if you are employed? Ask your employer. (It's true! They need tax deductions too!)

Some time ago someone posted that Statefarm Insurance pays for vehicle modifications. I didn't believe it! So I telephoned my agent and he told me, "Yes! Statefarm will cover vehicle modifications if you own the vehicle." I specifically asked, "Lift? Hand controls? Spinner ball? Swivel seat and remote stater?" The answer was "Yes!" If you don't have Statefarm Insurance switch over.

Serving on the Board I learned that you write philanthropists in your area. Usually they earned millions of dollars during their lifetime and passed away giving all of their monies to their foundation run by several members of that board. You write them who are in your local area with your specific needs. Be specific and provide quotes. As we did, requested grant money to put on events for children with disabilities and we got it each and every time. In my area it is the Nord Foundation. Try The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for starters.

Have someone establish you a trust fund in your name through a local bank. Start having fund raisers; cookie sale, car washes, dinner and dance for X dollar per ticket, re-cycle metal/paper drive. Get your local newspapers involved and your local cable company. There are fund raisers going in Ohio for a young man who got injured last year. They were able to buy a new van and get all modified! Use the power of the Internet.

Contact the Masons and Rotary Foundation your area.

Contact or write your local church or have them help with fund raisers.

Have someone stand outside of a busy grocery store with a sign, bell and a large drywall type bucket with a slot in it for donations.

I can add more but ... It doesn't hurt to ask? There are many ways to get your van modifications paid for. You have to be creative in your approach.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 05-05-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

I can tell you where millions of dollars for college tuition is but that is another posting.

lay it on me...

lay it on me...
    Ill second that.

are there still ways to get van conversions paid for?
    Not if your local bureaucracy is fucked. The process of relying on state-funded shit is so slow and taxing, and often you just give them the finger before anything is done. They need justification to do anything and that justification usually involves your working your paralyzed ass off in the near future.

Classic example: The state is by law required to pay excessive amounts of dollars to modify a vehicle for a paralyzed person, providing the justification; however, the state cannot outright buy an already modified vehicle at a fraction of the costs. How fucking stupid is that?