Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help-legal issues.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help-legal issues.

I have a warrant for my arrest with the bond of 500.00. Its from not going to court once again over a doctor bill that is 6 years old. I had been paying on it every month til I got sick and had to resign and file for disability.

The lawyer is a rude bitch that says everyone has some sob story...she expected my mom that is supporting me right now to make the payments. To me this is illegal...but anyways. She gave me a note on paper to come back to court but even with it on my desk i forgot about it. Due to my brain pressure and health issues right now I cant remember crap and when i do i quickly forget it again.

I am wondering what should i do? I dont have 500.00. As soon as i show up to post the bail they take my pic and arrest me. Then release me after i sign some paper work. They keep the 500.00 and apply it to the doctor bill which now is i believe under 1500.00. To me it smells of extortion! This lawyer knows my situation but dont care. Also she knows i have a SSD lawyer.

I have thought about filing bankruptsy at some time but right now i just cant do anything. What are my options? If i have any. LOL
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

This does not sound right at all. I have never heard of someone going to jail for an unpaid medical bill. Can u contact a lawyer for a free consult? They could point in the right direction or contact legal aid to get a lawyer, they are for low income people. Plus, they would prob know how to work it so that u are not arrested. I hope someone else had better information for you. I wish you the best.

Who told you there was a warrant out for your arrest? You can't be arrested for not paying a doctor's bill. Collection agencies use this line all the time.

It must be a contempt of court charge if you didn't show up for a writ of execution court hearing, after a previous hearing found you owed the creditor the money.

Regardless, it's very rare to be arrested for this type of thing. It usually never goes this far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Q View Post
    I have a warrant for my arrest with the bond of 500.00. Its from not going to court once again over a doctor bill that is 6 years old. I had been paying on it every month til I got sick and had to resign and file for disability.

The lawyer is a rude bitch that says everyone has some sob story...she expected my mom that is supporting me right now to make the payments. To me this is illegal...but anyways. She gave me a note on paper to come back to court but even with it on my desk i forgot about it. Due to my brain pressure and health issues right now I cant remember crap and when i do i quickly forget it again.

I am wondering what should i do? I dont have 500.00. As soon as i show up to post the bail they take my pic and arrest me. Then release me after i sign some paper work. They keep the 500.00 and apply it to the doctor bill which now is i believe under 1500.00. To me it smells of extortion! This lawyer knows my situation but dont care. Also she knows i have a SSD lawyer.

I have thought about filing bankruptsy at some time but right now i just cant do anything. What are my options? If i have any. LOL
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I'd relax. As RDF said, you can't go to jail for unpaid medical bills.
    I'd tell the person who said that, "nice try", and not pay the money
    until I have it. Don't stress yourself out. No one is suffering because
    you haven't paid that measly $1500 off.

You say the bill is 6 years old. They may be trying to get you to
    pay before a statute of limitations runs out. Some states have a
    7 year S.O.L. within which they can sue. Check out this site. SOURCE

Call the nearest legal aid office if there is one. Never heard of someone getting arrested for missing a court date or two so something doesn't sound right. I especially never heard of bail money being applied to a debt. Maybe Illinois is different from what I know, so legal aid is your best chance for good advice.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

a folded up piece of green paper came via the mail man today. It says Notice of warrant for arrest. It has a date and case number. It was for failure to appear. But this crazy bitch wants me to drag my ass in court every month just for harassment. It wants me to post the 500.00 and it says failure with in a reasonable time will result in your arrest and confinement until you can post bond. Sheriff Tom Cundiff.

This lawyer is used by other business that hire her for small claims cases. She herds all the poor in their that have medical bills and pay day loans. Last court date i went to a couple of months ago the court room was all disabled people.

Barbara Woodcock is the lawyers name btw. feel free to send any hate mail you wish to her!

Call the papers and television station. "Unemployed disabled woman about to be arrested for not paying doctor's bill." They'll eat it up.

Anyway, call the sheriff's and the district attorney, find if there's a warrant out for you. Then I'd call the media.
    a folded up piece of green paper came via the mail man today. It says Notice of warrant for arrest. It has a date and case number. It was for failure to appear. But this crazy bitch wants me to drag my ass in court every month just for harassment. It wants me to post the 500.00 and it says failure with in a reasonable time will result in your arrest and confinement until you can post bond. Sheriff Tom Cundiff.

This lawyer is used by other business that hire her for small claims cases. She herds all the poor in their that have medical bills and pay day loans. Last court date i went to a couple of months ago the court room was all disabled people.

Barbara Woodcock is the lawyers name btw. feel free to send any hate mail you wish to her!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

She surely must be breaking some law about fair debt collection practices. I would turn the tables on her and file a complaint with the proper agency.

There is no state in this country that has a statute of limitations longer than six years. It takes seven years to get the negative information removed from a persons credit file.

start researching fair debt collection practices. I think you will find some help there and information about how to file a complaint against this woman.

Whatever you do, do not state that you will pay her anything. If you make arrangements to pay or make any kind of payment it will start the clock again.

You must find a way to deal with the warrant for failure to appear. You may want to take the chance that rather than bail, say that you will go to jail. They might just release you on your own recognizance due to overcrowding of jails.

Please research very carefully before you do this however.

You need to definitely check into the state statutes regarding fair debt collection practices in your state. Then research the federal rules on this and find a legal aid lawyer that is willing to clean her clock. You are entitled to damages if she is violating the law of fair debt collection practices.

If your only money is coming from a disability check from SS, you are judgement proof. She knows this. They can however attach your bank account and getting the money back can be a nightmare. Money from SSDI or SSI is not attachable. Your bank may cooperate with the court anyway and leave you to clean up the mess later and have to prove that all money in your account was from disability sources. Really a nightmare. Be sure that any money in your account is only from the disability and not mixed with another persons paycheck or anything. They can grab it from you and then you will have to spend more than the bill just to get it back most likely.
    Last edited by skippy13; 05-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I have NO money coming in at all, i filed for disability.

The collection agency is a lawyer that has gone thru the courts thru small claims. Since i never objected that i owed the money nore did i have the money to pay it off the judgement was ruled against me. I had no idea of the tactics they used on people and thought that this sorta thing could not be done to people.

In typical jinx Suzie form i was stopped getting gas by a cop and was hauled off to jail while on my way to the brain doctors. They just ran my plates and found out i had a warrant, Cops love my car... This is why i just am about to say fuck it all. I cant win, get ahead or have anything good happen to me. I seriously think i have a jinx on myself. I was born 6-12-66 after all...

Anyways, i called my friend Joyce and she bailed me out for 500.00 +36.00 booking fee. I am selling my car to pay her back and other bills, go to court the 14th of June. I am writing a letter i will read outloud in court and will consult a lawyer before i go about what is going on in Williamson county courts. Its nothing short of extortion in my opinion.

I have NO money coming in at all, i filed for disability.

The collection agency is a lawyer that has gone thru the courts thru small claims. Since i never objected that i owed the money nore did i have the money to pay it off the judgement was ruled against me. I had no idea of the tactics they used on people and thought that this sorta thing could not be done to people.

In typical jinx Suzie form i was stopped getting gas by a cop and was hauled off to jail while on my way to the brain doctors. They just ran my plates and found out i had a warrant, Cops love my car... This is why i just am about to say fuck it all. I cant win, get ahead or have anything good happen to me. I seriously think i have a jinx on myself. I was born 6-12-66 after all...

Anyways, i called my friend Joyce and she bailed me out for 500.00 +36.00 booking fee. I am selling my car to pay her back and other bills, go to court the 14th of June. I am writing a letter i will read outloud in court and will consult a lawyer before i go about what is going on in Williamson county courts. Its nothing short of extortion in my opinion.
    Suzi, cops do not stop you or anyone else for purchasing gasoline.

How long has this warrant been issued?

Yes, the police found you had an outstanding warrant and did what they had to do. I cannot believe the cops have a love affair with your car, unless it is a Bentley, Lamborghini (sp?), etc.

Suzi, I found early in life we make our own "jinx". I was the first to blame others and the system for my problems. But ultimately I came around to agree my troubles were my own making. Sure, sometimes life hands us a shit sandwich, but we don't have to accept it.

I recommend your letter to be read in court says that you take full responsibility for your actions and that you will work with the court to pay your medical bill and that you hope to never appear there again. Do not make oat worse with words that you will later regret.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now