Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Help-legal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    Suzi, cops do not stop you or anyone else for purchasing gasoline.
    Cops will often drive around running random plates looking for vehicle owners with warrants or suspended license. I was arrested that way in a pawn shop parking lot.
    Death and taxes

Why do you still have to go to court if the judgment was already made?
    Death and taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Cspine View Post
    Why do you still have to go to court if the judgment was already made?
    Process is explained here.
    http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/inde...contentID=7050
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc View Post
    That's messed up!

This thread reminds me.... I think I still have a warrant in Texas.
    Death and taxes

In jail for being in debt

Source:
    It's not a crime to owe money, and debtors' prisons were abolished in the United States in the 19th century. But people are routinely being thrown in jail for failing to pay debts. In Minnesota, which has some of the most creditor-friendly laws in the country, the use of arrest warrants against debtors has jumped 60 percent over the past four years, with 845 cases in 2009, a Star Tribune analysis of state court data has found.
    (Source)

Pretty messed up.
    Daniel

I read those articles in Mpls paper. Chilling!

I was able to get collectors off my back by telling them that there was a law suit pending and that they would be paid with the settleing of the case. that was accompanied by a letter from my lawyer that there was indeed a pending case.
    but for contempt of court for a no show, you must be accountable for that now. write a letter to the judge explaining your situation. it may not help your debt, but can prevent an arrest. an then offer twenty bucks a month toward the bill. providing proof of income and expenses.

I went to court the 14th. I successfully argued my case that it was extortion. I explained my condition, brain swelling/psudo-tumor and all and the judge decided to return half my bail money. I then agreed to play the laywers office 5.00 a month. If i did not agree i would have to come to court every month which i told the judge was wrong because of my memory problems i would just be back in jail again. Before i agreed on the 5 bucks i told the judge and lawyer that i did not have a choice. It was either forgetting court every month or forcing my mother to pay 5 bucks. I thought it was wrong to expect any payment when the lawyer knows my situation and i have no money coming in. I did not tell him this but i think it would be an illegal contract. Anyways, thats what happened.

Believe me i was loud enough the whole court could hear and then i had to wait til the lawyer was done with other cases. Well lo and behold! around 4 other people if not more came up to the judge having been incarcerated the same exact same way as me...failure to pay on a bill, i believe all by the same doc.

As a side note, this town, Marion, IL, just made it illegal to feed stray homeless animals.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton