Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is best ZR series 2 or TR for larger people?

I'm not sure that the seat really needs to go back all the way to your knees. I'm 6'3" and use a 18x18, 4 fingers between the front of the cushion and my knees with my butt to the backrest. No trouble like this in 6 years, and the frame is smaller and more managable like this vs. 18x20 or whatever I'm 'supposed' to use.

Thanks for the info Patrick. I'm using an A4 and a Quickie Ti. I think I'll get measured by someone who knows what they're doing...problem is finding that person I'll probably head out to Iowa City and the University - it's likely my best shot at finding someone knowledgeable. But it doesn't seem it'd be that difficult to measure myself.

Andy, interesting point, thanks.

Thanks Jerry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Hey RD and WTF,Depends on the frame angle. The more angle the less knee clearance you'll get on a same length frame. Mine is 18" length of seat, I have 2 finger clearance 85o front angle. On a 90o, the back of my knees would be against the seatpan. 85o angle on a 17" I would have like three or more fingers I think.

I'm t6/7. I have a 4" dump for better support. Heigth on this New Tr is 19 inches 15" rear. Leg length from seatpan to footrest is 17"
    I've been taught that a person should be able to just scoot their hands under the knee for proper length. It probably depends on type of cushion. Roho would be different than the hard foam I use.

If your legs are sitting a bit level like that RD, with your level, you may be sitting to high in the rear. If I remember right, a chair height is bottom leg length from seat to footplate + 1 1/2 to 2" for footplate to floor.

I think Tilite has a good explanation for measuring a chair. Things have changed as far as setup in the last 24 yrs. I hear you on measuring, it's daunting for sure. I just paid some big bucks to get measured by a PT with a PHD in seating eval. She made my chair an inch narrower than I normally would get and an inch lower. I have a bit of scolliosis so she also flared out the right side of the back cane to catch my back better. Much more comfortable.

It's after midnight so I'm not thinking clearly. Hope that helps a bit. You must have like a 75o angle WTF to have to do that with your cushion.

Chair type also makes a difference. What type of chairs are you using now?

Not sure if that helps guys.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I've always rolled the mono-tube chairs (ZRA, ZR and the Z10) and love them! My friend rolls the TR and won't even try them! The layman's comparison is like a Caddy with plush suspension (ZR/ZRA) whereas the other is like a Porshe with racing suspension (TR). I've never driven a Porsche or a Caddy, so i cant comment either way.

WTF has a good point tho, the Z chairs have less "volume" when transferring them over your lap into the passenger seat of your ride...Porshe perhaps? The Box frame will have a stiffer ride and only add on a few more inches of frame.

And Patrick, MIDNIGHT?! Seriously?
    July 2006 T3/T4 Para

Out of all the schooling and course work and parenting i received, i can't help but think someone should have warned me about this....Paralysis Blows.

im 6'2 bout 195 200. i run a zr, just ordered zr2. i go 17wx16d. i like short frames and my feet tucked back. i fit my own chairs, i know exactly what i need.

i went from box frame colours eclipses to zr, like night/day dragging over me in car.

i too was goinmg w/ marvel but hesitated and glad i did. i dont rec buying one, fullish move now
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I'm not sure that the seat really needs to go back all the way to your knees. I'm 6'3" and use a 18x18, 4 fingers between the front of the cushion and my knees with my butt to the backrest. No trouble like this in 6 years, and the frame is smaller and more managable like this vs. 18x20 or whatever I'm 'supposed' to use.
    it absolutely doesnt. 6'2 17x16. if anyone told me i needed my cushion to my knees, i'd laugh at them. thats the old pt 90-90-90 crap.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I agree Andy and Fuentes, no cushion should fit to the knees. I cringe, well kinda anyway, seeing that.

lol Vander, yeah, sometimes much later then up at 6:30. Course I'm sure the youngun's are just going out the door to party at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Hey RD and WTF,Depends on the frame angle. The more angle the less knee clearance you'll get on a same length frame. Mine is 18" length of seat, I have 2 finger clearance 85o front angle. On a 90o, the back of my knees would be against the seatpan. 85o angle on a 17" I would have like three or more fingers I think.

You must have like a 75o angle WTF to have to do that with your cushion.
    I have an 85 degee on my zra but I did order my 16" depth with the added inch so maybe thats why I can pull out the cushion some.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    im 6'2 bout 195 200. i run a zr, just ordered zr2. i go 17wx16d. i like short frames and my feet tucked back. i fit my own chairs, i know exactly what i need.

i went from box frame colours eclipses to zr, like night/day dragging over me in car.

i too was goinmg w/ marvel but hesitated and glad i did. i dont rec buying one, fullish move now
    John with the 17" width is it a tight squeeze to get pass the steering wheel? I have a 16" and mine barely makes it?

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    John with the 17" width is it a tight squeeze to get pass the steering wheel? I have a 16" and mine barely makes it?
    slide your [vehicle] seat back, or lean it back, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    slide your [vehicle] seat back, or lean it back, or both.
    I do, I slide the seat all the way back and I lean the seat back, I think my sure grip handcontrols stick out more than it did on my previous Nissan.