Thread: Help with a birthday present!

Help with a birthday present!

Hi all - I had no idea what board to post this on so I thought I'd just try here -- a very special friend of mine is about 8 months post a T-2 complete SCI. He's just had hand controls put on his car so he can get around while waiting for his van to come in. He doesn't get out too often, and with this injury being new to him and also to me -- he has a birthday coming up this week and I'm clueless as to what he might appreciate.

He's been confined to the house for the last 6 months and just recently was able to use the car (last week). I want to get something thoughtful, but at the same time, not relating totally to his injury. If there is something out there that anyone has found of great use that would make life more comfortable for him, just something little, I would love some suggestions. As I said, this is all a new world to me and I don't want to make all his gifts be related to his injury, but at the same time I want to be sure it's something he can use. I'm at a loss!

I guess I should have added, he's a 35 yr old male, that might help

Hope this isn't too late. I would not purchase him a thing...I would invite him out to a wonderful dinner, and ask him to drive both of your there. What a great way to celebrate his increased independence!

(KLD)

KLD's suggestion is wonderful!

Christmas came 2 months after my son's injury, and I can remember asking the same question of one of the guys in the peer counseling group; not knowing much about adaptive equipment, yet, I thought that getting him something 'useful' would be appreciated. I was very soon turned around in my thinking, and ended up getting him things that had nothing to do at all with his injury.

A lap dance at the local strip club. A gift that will be long remembered, when all others are forgotten.

Letting him drive is a wonderful thing -- I did end up getting something non-injury related. I didn't want to remind him of it on his birthday but at the same time I did want something useful or to make his life a little easier. Thanks though - and lol on the lapdance, if I was allowed, I'd do it myself!