Thread: Intelligent people have "novel" social values, are more nocturnal, prefer monogamy?

Intelligent people have "novel" social values, are more nocturnal, prefer monogamy?

I know that the intelligence correlation with liberal attitudes is controversial but this study does more than that. It hypothesizes that evolution designs men to be more conservative but that more intelligent men tend to have more novel social values, nocturnal tendencies, and preference for sexual exclusivity.

Wise.

http://www.twine.com/item/136msk34n-...ion?cmpId=twit

Intelligent people have 'unnatural' preferences and values that are novel in human evolution | American Sociological Association Get Feed

DESCRIPTION
    More intelligent people are significantly more likely to exhibit social values and religious and political preferences that are novel to the human species in evolutionary history. Specifically, liberalism and atheism, and for men (but not women), preference for sexual exclusivity correlate with higher intelligence, a new study finds.

The study, published in the March 2010 issue of the peer-reviewed scientific journal Social Psychology Quarterly, advances a new theory to explain why people form particular preferences and values. The theory suggests that more intelligent people are more likely than less intelligent people to adopt evolutionarily novel preferences and values, but intelligence does not correlate with preferences and values that are old enough to have been shaped by evolution over millions of years."

"Evolutionarily novel" preferences and values are those that humans are not biologically designed to have and our ancestors probably did not possess. In contrast, those that our ancestors had for millions of years are "evolutionarily familiar."

"General intelligence, the ability to think and reason, endowed our ancestors with advantages in solving evolutionarily novel problems for which they did not have innate solutions," says Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary psychologist at the London School of Economics and Political Science. "As a result, more intelligent people are more likely to recognize and understand such novel entities and situations than less intelligent people, and some of these entities and situations are preferences, values, and lifestyles."

An earlier study by Kanazawa found that more intelligent individuals were more nocturnal, waking up and staying up later than less intelligent individuals. Because our ancestors lacked artificial light, they tended to wake up shortly before dawn and go to sleep shortly after dusk. Being nocturnal is evolutionarily novel.

In the current study, Kanazawa argues that humans are evolutionarily designed to be conservative, caring mostly about their family and friends, and being liberal, caring about an indefinite number of genetically unrelated strangers they never meet or interact with, is evolutionarily novel. So more intelligent children may be more likely to grow up to be liberals.

Data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health) support Kanazawa's hypothesis. Young adults who subjectively identify themselves as "very liberal" have an average IQ of 106 during adolescence while those who identify themselves as "very conservative" have an average IQ of 95 during adolescence.

Similarly, religion is a byproduct of humans' tendency to perceive agency and intention as causes of events, to see "the hands of God" at work behind otherwise natural phenomena. "Humans are evolutionarily designed to be paranoid, and they believe in God because they are paranoid," says Kanazawa. This innate bias toward paranoia served humans well when self-preservation and protection of their families and clans depended on extreme vigilance to all potential dangers. "So, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to go against their natural evolutionary tendency to believe in God, and they become atheists."

Young adults who identify themselves as "not at all religious" have an average IQ of 103 during adolescence, while those who identify themselves as "very religious" have an average IQ of 97 during adolescence.

In addition, humans have always been mildly polygynous in evolutionary history. Men in polygynous marriages were not expected to be sexually exclusive to one mate, whereas men in monogamous marriages were. In sharp contrast, whether they are in a monogamous or polygynous marriage, women were always expected to be sexually exclusive to one mate. So being sexually exclusive is evolutionarily novel for men, but not for women.
    And the theory predicts that more intelligent men are more likely to value sexual exclusivity than less intelligent men, but general intelligence makes no difference for women's value on sexual exclusivity. Kanazawa's analysis of Add Health data supports these sex-specific predictions as well.

One intriguing but theoretically predicted finding of the study is that more intelligent people are no more or no less likely to value such evolutionarily familiar entities as marriage, family, children, and friends.

Which scale are they using with those IQ?
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Bottomline: Stupid people more likely rely on superstition.

IT ALL FITS!!! I knew it!

SO TRUE hah
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by agnes View Post
    IT ALL FITS!!! I knew it!
    Does it, though? For example the issue of monogamy - which happens, at least from the last statistics I looked at, to be in higher frequency amongst non-atheists. A study so multifaceted can't possibly all fit.

My last IQ test score was 140. I've only slept with one woman in my life, and she with me, and I married her, and anything different discomforts me. I've slept during the day/woken at night for the past decade, even at the cost of income.

Good so far, except politically I'm on the very far-right (third position nationalist), a medievalist, and a deist with a strong dislike of atheism.

Although I'm somewhat of a genetic determinist myself, one thing these tests simply take for granted is that the majority view is simply "evolutionary normalcy" rather than an unpredictable result of evolutionary normalcy being slapped around by environmental chaos.

What the test really shows is that the views held by the average majority - which aren't consistently conservative or liberal or consistently anything, because they're simply adopted to avoid conflict, and have no overall theme or art to them - are less indicative of intelligence than everything else. The vast majority of the world being theistic, "serial monogamists", and other mismatched/inconsistent things, the results aren't too surprising, but those views aren't shaped by evolution so much as they're shaped by the path of least resistance our short-term circumstances have created for our current evolutionary state.

Rather, it's surprising that researchers go through all the trouble of the scientific method without ever addressing the archaic, fictional "liberal and conservative" bodies they're using as variables. Monogamous, nocturnal liberals? Free love & sunshine conservatives? What planet does this study address?

And I know its an old thread, my apologies, I was searching for other information and stumbled upon it.

I wonder about being nocturnal is a novelty rather than positional, location and time zones. My Grandparents are from England and Scotland in different time zones so thought maybe it's a genetic or heredity and that's why I prefer nights for working as my ancestors were probably attached to that time zone difference. Not sure...I wonder if I moved to England if I then became 'normal 'sleeping at night?

Monogamy seems a fairer chance to not get as many sexual diseases and intimacy with just one person. When I was younger I was not monogamous but my mid 20's I had one boyfriend for over 10 years and now married for 19 years to another though we don't have sex anymore but that's another story..Monogamy also for me is a religious reason however atheists can be monogamous also for wanting a family unit and not be in that 'dangerous zone' of many partners.

I only had one IQ test and it was 117 to 157 respectively it said. I don't know how true this is as I was 19 at the time I had it done and wonder if IQ changes with time? Not sure? With such an IQ I should know this.

Interesting read Dr. Wise.

Monogamy and Intelligence

People generally do not look at what monogamous animals do when they think of what monogamous people should do. They are missing a lot.

The nocturnal thing could be a component. It is for wolves and barn owls. But all monogamous animals are not nocturnal. That, I believe is a monogamous trait of women, because they have to wakeup several times a night to feed their babies.

Intelligence is definitely a component. A man who is intelligent has to have high levels of testosterone in his system. Those less intelligent do not have high levels of testosterone. That's why we have such a high rate of learning disabilities in men these days. And an intelligent man is afraid of what his wife will do if he cheats, the less intelligent man just cares about how he can benefit in that specific moment.

Their ideas novel? They like new fresh ideas, yes. They like to start a project fresh and work methodically to the end (women consider conservation and amending to suit the situation while skipping unnecessary steps). Fresh ideas are also associated with high levels of testosterone. But the idea of monogamy is not novel, it is just rare now, since we have so many men with lower testosterone levels.