Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the advantages of a solid seat pan?

What are the advantages of a solid seat pan?

Hi All,

I am starting to fill in an order form for a new TiLite ZR2 for my son and one thing puzzles me (and the UK rep. who can see no clinical advantage) Can anyone tell me what advantages, clinical or otherwise, a solid seat pan like TiLite's G10 has over a canvas sling?

Does anyone know if I ordered a canvas sling I could retro-fit a CF seat pan or would that require drilling and tapping the seat frame?

Thank you,

Curly

dont know about the retro fitting etc. BUT i am a firm supporter of solid seat pans and will probably never be without one. i am sitting on my first solid seat with my Marvel M1 chair i am and very pleased in the differnce. they do add a little weight but they outlast expensive canvas seat slings that i used to routinely replace at least once a year. no more sag issues with a seat sling & cushion for that matter making seating much more comfortable. i would suggest if he has a sensation feeling bottom to get a slightly thicker daily seat cushion as the solid pan is harder........good luck in making the decision

I've been using a solid seat pan for about 10 years. I switched because I was tired of sagging bolt-on slings that were a pain to re-tighten. (This was before the adjustable strap versions came to market.)

I immediately liked the improvement in my posture, sitting taller in my chair. Some people, however, feel (or fear) that with a solid pan they're sitting on the chair rather than sitting in the chair. A seat sling gives the user more seating set-up choices with the obvious exception of the experience of sitting on a solid base.

If you order a bolt-on sling there should be no problem in retrofitting a solid pan, though a solid pan doesn't require as many attachment points (my ZR is secured with a total of 6 screws -- 3 per side).

I also prefer the aesthetic of it and the simplicity to keep it clean. But more than anything else, I think it promotes better posture -- for me, anyway -- and over many years sitting in a wheelchair, that's not insignificant.

While I have not used a solid seat pan, I wish I would have ordered one in my new chair. In my new chair I purchased the strap adjustable seat upholstry and while I do prefer this over the standard upholstry seat, only because I can keep it tight, it is a bit of a nuisance because I must tighten it regularly; I have come to learn, for me, when the seat upholstry starts to sag it causes me a lot of pain in my lower back and legs. A solid seat pan would eliminate the issue.

That said, I would probably spec my chair a bit differently in doing so, I suspect, going down a half inch in the rear.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I like the non-stretchy firm feeling of a solid seat. I also like the light weight of a fabric seat. I think Lasher's racing sail cloth is the best. Uber-light and doesn't stretch, a bit. After ~2 years of daily use the cloth seat and back on my Mg haven't stretched even one little bit. It's the best upholstery I've seen on a chair so far. I'm going to transplant it onto all my future chairs.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

For a quad imo, it makes me wobbly
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My newer chair is my first experience with a solid pan, and I like it very much. I feel that my transfers are easier because there is a solid surface with none of the metal tube movement to be found in sling seats. It keeps my hips from rotating in ways they were not meant to rotate too.

I find a solid seat pan more stable and honestly more comfortable with the cushion on top. Better posture too.

I copied this quote from my post in another similar thread (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ighlight=apple).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I have a thin piece (1/4"?) of apple plywood inside my cushion cover under the cushion. The custom seating guy who set up my chair claims that stiffness and weight of the apple ply wood is better than many of the solid seat pan options out there. (I'm not sure how it compares to carbon fibre though, but is bound to be way cheaper). I was willing to pay the money for other more expensive options so I don't think he was trying to steer me in another direction for his benefit.

Why don't you try putting a thin piece of plywood inside his cushion cover to see if he likes how it has him sitting. If it is better then you can make a more informed decision on whether or not to get a solid seat pan..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I copied this quote from my post in another similar thread (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ighlight=apple).

Why don't you try putting a thin piece of plywood inside his cushion cover to see if he likes how it has him sitting. If it is better then you can make a more informed decision on whether or not to get a solid seat pan..
    I had a friend make me a wood insert to try inside my cushion, the problem was, which I expected, it caused me to sit higher than I wanted; if I could lower my rear seat height I may have been fine with it.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982