Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: From Vent to Diaphragmatic Pacing System (DPS)...

It's great to hear you're having such success Joel.

Have you noticed anything different, like fewer or more secretions, on the DPS?

Bill
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

More secretions, as I was warned. With more of my lungs working, everything from down below now comes up more.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Finally a Surgery Date!

Barring something unfortunate, I should have my two outpatient surgeries on February 2nd, 2011, at Orlando Regional Medical Center. In one trip to the operating room (for me) I'll have my cardiac pacemaker replaced and also the Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS) installed.

I plan to write a comprehensive post-surgery evaluation of the DPS and my experiences probably in late March, after I've had some adjustment time.

Thanks and God bless!

- Bill :-)

Good luck Bill! I'm sure it will go well.

Congratulations Bill. I'm a little over two months after getting my DPS and it has been mainly a good experience.

You and I were part of the research group on February 19, 2009. It's unfortunate it took so long with insurance and all the other red tape, but glad both of us made it. Have a good surgery, I'll look forward to the report and look for similarities.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Thanks for the updates guys. I am really excited for both of you.
    A lot of SCI and family don't realize how lucky they are to not have respiratory issues to deal with each day.
    Breathing, eating and speaking are taken for granted by so many.
    Keep us posted!

YES...good luck to you!As i have said before your posts/info about managing a vent /trach were extremly helpful to me.

My pulmonary docs feel that since i am able to go off the vent 4-5 hours a day.That it would be better to hold off on the dps for now.

BUT....i'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you...you never know it might still be an option for me in the future.

Thanks Again Bill you're awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    More secretions, as I was warned. With more of my lungs working, everything from down below now comes up more.
    That could be a good thing.It's better than having those secretions staying around IN your lungs.

Good Luck to you!............Nancygail

Thanks all. I'm to report to registration at 0530 Wednesday morning.

Even though (hopefully) it's just a day trip (since it's outpatient; barring unforeseen complications) I still have a pretty long list of what my caregivers and I need to do / pack / bring etc. That's actually one of the benefits I hope the DPS will eventually provide: simplified respiratory care. We'll see -- no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by BillMiller823 View Post
    Thanks all. I'm to report to registration at 0530 Wednesday morning.

Even though (hopefully) it's just a day trip (since it's outpatient; barring unforeseen complications) I still have a pretty long list of what my caregivers and I need to do / pack / bring etc. That's actually one of the benefits I hope the DPS will eventually provide: simplified respiratory care. We'll see -- no worries.
    Good Luck Bill! Hope all goes well for you during the surgery. I know of a Veteran who had his done at Lakeland Regional Medical Center. He was an inpatient for a long time in the Ventilator unit at the VA. Last I saw him he was still on the vent but only for pressure support. He was also on the breathing pacemaker as well.
    Don't know what brand he was given. He was shot in the neck over in Iraq. He was a Warrant Officer he was leading his troops in battle when he was injured. He's living in his own home in Tampa not to far from the VA as far as I know.
    Again Bill I wish you the best of luck with your procedures.