Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: From Vent to Diaphragmatic Pacing System (DPS)...

Quote Originally Posted by BillMiller823 View Post
    Well, I haven't ever been told how quickly a trach stoma can close, but a GI doctor told me if we ever want to get rid of my g-tube (we kept it for convenience mostly; I get water & meds while I sleep, but it's also good for gastric burping and taking hard-to-swallow meds) to just take it out and put a bandage over the gastric stoma. He didn't even say to not eat or drink for a certain timeframe, which I took to mean it would close up pretty quickly.
    Bill, my sons G-tube stoma closed in under 2 hrs. When it first was placed, we were told to not let it come out because it would close in less than an hour.

It was finally removed after 9 years and it was a surgical procedure at that point because of all the scaring. Even with surgery it refused to heal.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    It was finally removed after 9 years and it was a surgical procedure at that point because of all the scaring. Even with surgery it refused to heal.
    My g-tube was removed via muscle spasm. Over 20 years later, the whole left from is still quite visible, my second belly button my young cousins called it.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

What's the difference between DPS & phrenic nerve stimulator? I'm a c1 &c2 complete, and I've been using phrenic nerve stimulators for 27 years. Just curious about the difference

Basiclly, the main differences are that with the DPS the surgical approach is through the abdomen & the electrodes are attached directly to the diaphragm while with PNS it is through the chest & the electrodes wrapped around the phrenic nerves. Also with the DPS a wire goes through the skin to the under side of the diaphram long term.

KLD

Thank youit's amazing how technology has come since 1984

I've been a quad since 1985, I agree on the large number of changes over the years. One item about these pacemakers is that they aren't very common or well known. Yesterday I had a quick 15 minute fix done to my wires, but it took two months to get it arranged.

As use and knowledge increase, it will get better, but that will take time.

With mine it was usually battery wires breaking antennas needed to be changed or the receiver breaking inside me. I've experienced it all

What type of pacer is yours?

Mine is by Synapse Biomedical, a diaphragmatic pacemaker. I'm interested to hear what yours is as well mcwhiman.

phrenic nerve stimulators by avery laboratory. I have had them for almost 27 years